Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Questions with there are    

Questions with there are

mjmo67
Iran

Questions with there are

Hi dear colleagues,

I was wondering which of the following questions is more often used and what the difference between these two types of questions is:

1) Are there any chairs in the kitchen?

2) Are there chairs in the kitchen?

I �m looking forward to your answers.

17 Apr 2014      

pkavfa
Turkey

It is the first one.

17 Apr 2014     

douglas
United States

Okay, this is just my opinion/point of view on it:

Most commonly we say: "Are there any chairs in the kitchen?"

But (for me anyway) there is a slight difference (inference?)  in meaning between the two.

"Are there chairs...?" - leaves the impression that having chairs in the room may not be a normal state (it �s not a given that a kitchen would normally have chairs).

"Are there any chairs...?" - leaves the feel that it is normal to have chairs there, but there may not be any at the moment.

These are just slight nuances that I sense when comparing the two, but both can generally be used interchangeably (again, this is just my humble opinion).

Cheers,
Douglas

17 Apr 2014     

yanogator
United States

I totally agree with Douglas, but have a little to add. His answer covers the usual situation very well.

There are various inferences that can be drawn from "Are there chairs in the kitchen?".

When setting up for a party, I might have forgotten whether I had put chairs in the kitchen, so I would ask that.

When at someone else �s house, I might just be interested in the layout of things, so I might ask that.

There are probably some other nuances, but he and I have covered it pretty well.

Bruce

17 Apr 2014     

Jayho
Australia

I feel the same as Douglas and Bruce but here�s my summary of it:

They are generally interchangeable but, depending on context could be as follows:

1) Are there any chairs in the kitchen?

Situation A: It is usual for chairs to be in the kitchen (all the time).  Are there any there at all?
Situation B:  There should be chairs in the kitchen now. Are there any there to meet part of our needs as we don �t have enough.
Situation C:  We need chairs (in another room) and we don�t have enough for our needs.  There might be some chairs in the kitchen that we can use

2) Are there chairs in the kitchen?

There might be/there mightn�t be.  I�m wondering whether there is.  It is not a given or expectation there should be chairs in the kitchen.

Cheers

Jayho

17 Apr 2014