Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need some help!    

I need some help!

roael
Brazil

I need some help!

Could anyone help me with these questions? a) What does �facebooked out � mean? Is it tired of facebook? "I�ve been feeling a little facebooked out � b) Is it correct to say "when I was a child, I would read a lot.? (=used to) C) Which is more natural? I had to go all the way back limping. OR I had to limp all the way back. D) The President travels to New York tomorrow. Is it formal? In relation to the going to future, presente continuous and will ? e) Which is better? a) She ran up the stairs to take me the letter. b) She went running up the stairs to bring me the letter. c) She went up the stairs running to bring me the letter. Thanks in advance.

28 Apr 2014      

yanogator
United States

These are some fun questions, roael.

"facebooked out" is an extension of "tired out" or "talked out", etc. Yes, it means that you have been on facebook too long or too often lately.

"would" is a little more literary sounding than "used to", but is definitely correct. It isn �t overly formal, though.

Definitely "I had to limp all the way back."

"The president (not capitalized without a name) travels to New York tomorrow" is stating his scheduled plan, rather than reporting it as simple information, which makes it formal in a sense. For simply giving the information, use "going to" or "present continuous".

Since I am upstairs, she is "bringing" (toward me) rather than "taking" (away from me). The best is "She ran up the stairs to bring me the letter" or "She came running up the stairs to bring me the letter" (which is a little more narrative in its sound).

I hope this helps you,
Bruce

28 Apr 2014     

roael
Brazil

Thank you, Bruce.

28 Apr 2014     

kingfant72
Japan

Bruce is spot on for the most part there, but to me "I would read a lot" doesn �t sound quite right. I only use "would" in this sense when adding colour to a story. Note the contrast between "I used to read a lot"and "I would smear myself in peanut butter and read to my heart �s content while dry humping my rocking horse". Hope this helps to some extent.

29 Apr 2014     

yanogator
United States

@kingfant72, that �s why I said "would" sounds more literary.

Bruce

29 Apr 2014