Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What is this fragment about?    

What is this fragment about?

carinita
Argentina

What is this fragment about?

Juice Cleanse

And with that last juice cleanse I found myself changed, altered as it were. I lost a piece of myself but gained an entirely new one. Gingers and kale- roots. They say pumping down said kale makes one stare into the abyss. And stare I did, as I waited for �the collector� to come gather my essence, filtering it through pristine aluminum and regurgitating it back into my mouth, not unlike like the mother bird.

Does this have carrots? 

Yes.

Sight it is, then, stepping softly into a repeat scenario.

G

http://www.gerardway.com/post/85367157135/juice-cleanse

In my opinion, it is about somebody who is sober and "clean" and, at the same time, is bored of routinary life.

Is this it or am I missing anything?

Feel free to leave your comments.

10 May 2014      

Peter Hardy
Australia

In my view it �s about cleansing the body. Pretty much like the spring cleaning of your house. Due to our (western) diet, our bodies become acidic. To be healthy we need to restore the alkaline balance. This can be done through juice diets. If done in a (too) rigorous way, it can be hellish (abyss). But maybe others who have done different diets can give more information on this aspect. I �ve never dieted. I just eat healthy :-) Cheers, Peter.

11 May 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, it �s about someone who �s been on a de-tox regime. He �s lost a piece of himself (it would be impossible for a woman to produce such a pretentious piece of claptrap as this) but found a new, presumably healthier one. He �s been eating items with roots and he �s gained some roots himself. People say shovelling down the said (already mentioned) kale makes you stare into the abyss (face hell, as Peter says). To be honest, I get the idea from the rest of it, but the metaphor is a bit much - what does the aluminium bit refer to? I �m going to send it to �Private Eye � for their �Pseuds Corner � - a section for the most pretentious, pompous piece of naff writing.

Hey Peter - you smug so-and-so, I get it, you are nice and thin! But to stick that picture of a beardless Brucie on here again, pie in hand and pinkie out - shame on you! Wink

11 May 2014     

Mariethe House
France

@ Lynne: tu es tr�s en forme ce matin!Big smile
Thank you for all your idiomatic language you natives! I had never heard of little pinkie out; had to check it up. Is there any  another meaning to it?  Embarrassed

11 May 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Marieth�, ah oui, ce que j �ai �crit est un peu fort! Big smile
�Pinkie � is American for little finger, but I �m afraid it sounds cheeky to me! 

11 May 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

As Lynne said, it �s an overdone metaphor. I didn �t want to overdo it, so I figured a picture would say more than words about healthy living. My apologies to Bruce, so herewith a replacement picture. No-one can be offended by this one, or could they, Lynne?? P.s. Pinkie is derived from the Dutch word pinkje. Makes me feel proud to be of Dutch descend (blah). Cheers, Peter.

11 May 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Peter, I love it! 
But I want to explain! I wasn �t being cheeky about Bruce. Though I might be cheeky with him! Wink That picture cropped up on here the other day and Bruce posted, saying how dare anyone publish such a picture of him! He didn �t mind being sans barbe, but he objected to being shown with his pinkie angled like that... Well wouldn �t we all! 

I �m off to look �pinkje � up.  

11 May 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

I know, Lynne. Was just having you, and Bruce, on. For those wondering about �pinkie �, pinkje means little finger in Dutch. The Dutch like to make almost every noun little by adding -je. A kopje koffie is thus a small cup of coffee. They do so because Holland is so small :-( Back to Carinita �s question, cleansing can be done in different ways. A juice cleanse is a type of fast where you limit your diet to raw fruit and vegetable juices. Proponents of juice fasting believe that a high level of detoxification takes place while the body takes a mini-break from processing solid food. The juice itself is also thought to be an excellent source of antioxidants and vitamins. I checked out your link, and this guy just makes too much fuss. Confussing, indeed. Cheers, Peter

11 May 2014     

carinita
Argentina

Peter, Lynne, Mariethe: 
The text is more clear to me after your interventions Thumbs Up
Lynne:
Private Eye??? Pseuds Corner??? LOL
Yes, "aluminium" is out of place...unless ...he drinks canned juice?
Cheers, Carina.

11 May 2014     

yanogator
United States

@Peter,
Lynne and I were just having you on, too. Of course, you knew that already.

Bruce

12 May 2014     

yanogator
United States

Oh, and back to Carinita �s original question. The whole thing is obviously making fun of people who take these cleansings too seriously, as this piece makes it somewhat of a religious experience.

Bruce

12 May 2014     

1    2    Next >