Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Fly or flying?    

Fly or flying?

mariannina
Italy

Fly or flying?

Hello dear friends, yesterday, I came across the following sentence, written on a t-shirt  that one of my students was wearing: "The wings already exist, now the only thing you have to do is fly". Is it correct? Is it correct to say "fly" and why? I don �t know if it is my old age or what but, from time to time, my English is "blocked"!Confused
Thank you for your help.
Hugs from grannyHug

30 May 2014      

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi dear Granny,
fly is perfectly ok in the context that you mention.
You would be able to use flying if the sentence was like this;
"The wings already exist, now the only thing you have to do is to start flying."
hope this helps.
big hugs from Surrey

30 May 2014     

mariannina
Italy

Thanks Frank. Why not "to fly" then?Ermm

30 May 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I would explain to my pupils:

the only thing you have to do is fly = "fly" is almost an order, it �s not a goal, it �s already there, in your hands, all you have to do is take a leap of faith :)

... is to fly = "to fly" is the goal you have to reach, you �re not there yet, (TO symbolizing the path that �s left...)

30 May 2014     

mariannina
Italy

Elojolie274, thanks a bunch. Is there any grammar rule related to it? Thank you again.

30 May 2014     

serene
Greece

You may also find this useful.

Have a good day!

31 May 2014     

mariannina
Italy

Serene, this is great, thanks Thumbs Up

31 May 2014