Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > my exams start in two week īs time    

my exams start in two week īs time

avascom
Iran

my exams start in two week īs time

hi dear colleagues

would you please make it clear for me the kind of this grammar point:in two week īs time

what is the role of īs after week?
what is the role of time hear?

3 Jun 2014      

yanogator
United States

Hi,
First, I īll say that this expression is more common in England than in the US, although people do use it here. In the US we are more likely to say, "My exams start in two weeks".

Also, it should be "two weeks � time", since it is the plural possessive.

Now, to answer your questions.
We use the possessive with this type of time expression.
It īs been a hard day īs night, and I īve been working like a dog. (The Beatles)
He was sick, and lost two weeks � pay. (the pay of two weeks)
I will see you in two hours. = I will see you in two hours � time.  (the time of two hours)
In two days � time your rash should be gone.  (the time of two days)

Bruce

3 Jun 2014     

avascom
Iran

thanks alot for your help

3 Jun 2014     

yanogator
United States

If I may correct you, it should be "a lot", not "alot". This is a common error these days. I just taught my English class about it last night.

Bruce

3 Jun 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Bruce, I thought you were a maths teacher?

3 Jun 2014     

yanogator
United States

Don īt pigeonhole me, Lynne. I taught ESL for three years. About a year ago, the college where I teach didn īt have a second math class for me, but Fundamentals of English was available, so they had me teach it. I am now teaching it for the fourth time, because they again only have one math class for me. Well, they actually have two, but they are at the same time.

Bruce

3 Jun 2014