Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Sound discrimination - I have no sound files.    

Sound discrimination - I have no sound files.

darryn
United Kingdom

Sound discrimination - I have no sound files.

I have made a powerpoint game with a lot of sounds attached. Does anyone know how I can send it ?When I delete the sound file it disappears from the game, so they are not stored in powerpoint itself. So is it possible to send a sound file attachment or something like that ? It sounds like this is a problem for Victor to consider too, as I have seen many posts about �I have no audio files for my printable � which could be solved if audio files can be posted. I �m making assumptions here, so correct me if I �m wrong. Thanks in advance. Darryn.

6 Jun 2014      

Peter Hardy
Australia

I don �t think Victor could do anything about this problem, apart from the fact he �s a very busy guy, but maybe this will help. First, convert your sound files into WAV files. A program called CDex does this without increasing the file size (important to prevent a 50Kb file turn into a Mb file). Insert the sound files into your PPT as usual. Next you do the embedding trick. Click on the sound icon that appeared on your slide, and look for the �options � tab that will appear in the menu bar. Click on it and look for �Max sound file �. Set an appropriate size according to your files. Then, look for a little arrow in the sound-options bar underneath the Max sound box. Click the arrow to check if PPT has it embedded. In a pop-up box it will say "File contained in presentation". Be aware that files bigger than your settings will not be embedded and show the path. Now it would be nice if this worked with WS as well, but I �ve never tried that. Maybe I �ll figure that one out, too, one day. Good luck and cheers, Peter. Edit: That one day was today :-) I�ve uploaded a tutorial as well, but for those who want to check out how to embed sound files in worksheets today (like me) check it out on: http://lpgraphics.wordpress.com/2013/01/06/embed-the-sound-file-into-your-word-2010-document/

7 Jun 2014     

darryn
United Kingdom

Thanks a lot. I didn �t know about the embedding trick.  I tried converting mp3 to .wav but I didn �t embed it. I �ll try that now.  I just meant that it would be nice for teachers to have audio. I �m sure Victor is busy, but I didn �t know how easy it would be to convert the site to accepting audio somehow, so I thought he could keep it in mind- that �s all.  But your embedding idea sounds interesting.  I never knew it might even be possible . I �ll look at that too. Thank you for your help. Darryn.

7 Jun 2014     

cukurova
Turkey

I never tried embedding instead i prepared all my powerpoint games by converting mp3 files into wav format.It always works.

7 Jun 2014     

darryn
United Kingdom

Thanks cukurova, I think it would have worked, but I needed to increase the file size so my .wav would fit. Hopefully it will upload now. Thanks to Peter too. I think I �ve done it now.    
LATER UPDATE. Still not uploading. I just don�t know why. FRUSTRATED.

7 Jun 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Cukurova, when you insert WAV files they are automatically embedded, provided the file is the right size. If it exceeds the set size by 1 Kb it won �t work. Keep checking all the settings, Darryn. Just make sure the PPT doesn �t get too big, which may be a problem for uploading. The maximum upload is 3Mb nowadays, but I �ve heard that 2.9 could be too close to that maximum. Keep working on it. After all it �s part of our learning :-)

7 Jun 2014     

omarengteacher
Peru

Hey, this is something that works for me (as long as the sound file is small). Just drag the audio file into a slide in your Power Point. And when you post it here, the file is still there to be played by double-clicking it.
I hope it helps.

7 Jun 2014     

darryn
United Kingdom

Thanks for everyone �s help. Success at last. Upload complete.

7 Jun 2014