Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > New Word of the Day!    

New Word of the Day!

MoodyMoody
United States

New Word of the Day!

Partly because I have no idea where WoD went, and partly in the interest of pushing the troll off the forum, I have decided to take cindyfrekson �s idea and revive the Word of the Day contest.

The new Word of the Day is

PHRONTIFUGIC

Remember, we want the best FAKE definitions you can come up with. The real definition is not allowed. I �ll pick the best probably some time on August 13, or when I have a good selection to choose from. Do have fun with it!

11 Aug 2014      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Good idea, MM. I was wondering where it had gotten to. 

Phrontifugic - now, it looks as if it has joint Greek/ Latin roots, but it hasn �t. It is in fact onomatopoeic; an adjective, of course. It means rushing around furiously, looking tremendously busy, but achieving nothing. 

12 Aug 2014     

isa2
Austria

It is a photographic technique you use when you take a quick snapshot of a fugitive magical moment.
Here is an example: 6

etymology: pronto + photo + fugitive + magic

12 Aug 2014     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

I think it �s about the condition of the air in summer. 
Ph = f, so "phrontifugic" is an adjective from the words "frontier" + "fug" + "ic" as a suffix and it means "very stuffy weather, on the boundary of  unbearable one"

13 Aug 2014