Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Explain me. please!    

Explain me. please!

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

Explain me. please!

As far as I understand "frill" and "furbelow" are synonims. Is there any difference between them???? 

13 Aug 2014      

almaz
United Kingdom

You �re unlikely to see �furbelows � (showy ornaments or trimmings) these days except in the set phrase frills and furbelows - which doesn �t necessarily refer to clothing.

13 Aug 2014     

Jayho
Australia

I �ve never heard of a �furbelow�.  Is this word still used in terms of clothing?

13 Aug 2014     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

almaz: Thank you! But what does "frills and furbelows" mean then???
Jayho: The dictionary in the internet says: 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/furbelow

13 Aug 2014     

douglas
United States

http://wordfoolery.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/frills-and-furbelows/

Furbelow seems to be partially synonymous to "foofaraw" too.

13 Aug 2014     

Jayho
Australia

After some research I�ve come to the conclusion that �furbelow� is not a word commonly used, if even generally known, in the land downunder.  When googling it, the first site that came up was a travel site (referring to a  Prague monument with a  furbelow) and the second one was a racing site (referring to a racehorse by the name of Furbelow). On the second result page was a fabric site with furbelows and then one for bedspreads with furbelows.  That was it.  So not much at all.

A synonym, in my opinion, would be ruffle or flounce.

I�m still curious if this word is currently used in UK or US.

Interesting article Douglas. Foofaraw is in the same category - basically not used here. 

Cheers

Jayho

13 Aug 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I �ve never heard these words - furbelow and foofaraw either. They sound like candidates for the WOD competition!

13 Aug 2014     

almaz
United Kingdom

Julia: since frills and furbelows are almost synonymous, as you say, the meaning of the set phrase is just excessive ornament/ trimmings - ludicrously over the top, basically - as in:

If there �s anything more ridiculous than a periwigged Pooh-Bah in his frills and furbelows I �ve yet to see it. (Dandelion Days)

There�s also this from Michael Quinion:

13 Aug 2014     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

Great thanks to everybody!!!!
I �ve found these words using one of the worksheets published here. It �s about elegance and comfort. I haven �t met these words before so I am curious to know :)

13 Aug 2014