Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching segpa    

Teaching segpa

patt29
France

Teaching segpa

Hello I �m asking for help. This year I �m teaching 3�me segpa and I have difficulties finding documents for my pupilswho are 15 years old. The ones I have found are either too difficult or not interesting for their age. If anyone has some advice to share.
Thanks in advance. Have a sunny weekend

6 Sep 2014      

ELOJOLIE274
France

my mum used to teach in SEGPA (was a sewing teachers for years) and the English teacher who was in charge of her classes used to work a lot on what their did during the "workshop" hours (cooking, dress-making, plumbing...)

she started byt studying the objects they used (kitchen tools, food, sewing kit, tool box...),
then they studied the imperative form of action verbs used in class (repare, stir, cut etc...)
and after that she moved to CAN (I CAN cook a cake, I CAN use a sewing machine, I CAN fix a leaky pipe)

she asked the workshop teachers to take pictures and the "final task" was "present what you do in your workshop".

does it help? it usually worked very well with the kids because it was something practical, something they could use in the future...

7 Sep 2014     

titine69
France

Hello Patt!

I teach 3segpa too this year.I had the same pupils last year in 4segpa.I agree with Elojolie,these children need to learn things they can use in everyday life.It is not always easy but for example:
-the pupils  study sewing,cooking during "workshop" hours:my final task will be" I can prepare an English breakfast".First they will study English food in general(fruit/vegetables/meat...),you can play games:bingos/crosswords/memory games/wordsearch..)and then we will focus on the traditional English breakfast.They will study the utensils they will need for cooking,the verbs(mix/add/stir...).I have an English friend (she �s retired)who was a great cook.I asked my headmaster if I could invite her to give the pupils instructions during the cooking.When I announced them that they would make an English breakfast and moreover with an English woman,they were very happy and motivated.
-they also  make objects during the �Habitat �hours:I have met the teacher to know what they do.They will make a wooden box to put bottles of apple juice in.Because they also make apple juice at school.So,the teacher showed me his lesson(how to make a wooden box").I will work with the teacher to make the pupils study the tools they use,the equipment(clothes)they need...  and then we will focus on 5 jobs.You can study �jobs �(tools/equipment/places/qualities needed for the job..)
-In 6-5 segpa,I used the book"Easy goals"together with other documents I made.
In 4-3 this book is  not interesting.I often take documents from New Spring 4LV2 .What the pupils love too is :the Royal Family/sport/music.Study the different music genres and then ask them what they prefer.Last year,they had to present a singer or a group .They did their research on the net with my help and they presented their work in class (they spoke about their singer and played the music)and we decorated the class with their posters.
I hope this helps.Work with the "segpa team",you will find it easier to prepare your lessons.
If you have questions,please contact me.
Titine

7 Sep 2014     

patt29
France

Thanks for your answer. 

7 Sep 2014