Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Spanish teachers I need your help    

Spanish teachers I need your help

morganalin
Portugal

Spanish teachers I need your help

Hello, 

I have a map with spanish customs but some of them I cannot identify. 

Could you identify the customs?

Thanks a lot in advance. 

Here is the map...

14 Sep 2014      

silvia.sv89
Spain

- Galicia: seafood
- Asturias-cantabria : Sidra ( we serve Sidra in a way called " escanciar sidra", which is pouring it from a determinated distance, which makes Sidra being specially foaming
- Pa�s Vasco: people in the Vasque country is known for being very exagerated, some of their traditions are for example a kind of contest whicn consists in cutting a log with an axe standing on it, or moving heavy rocks and things like these.
- Catalunya: bread with tomatoe (pa amb tomaquet)
- Navarra: for San Fermin it �s a tradition running in big groups being chased for a bull.
- La Rioja: there �s good wine there
- Extremadura: there are good pigs there and therefore good cold meat
- Aragon: Drums are very typical there, specially in a town called "Calanda"
- Madrid: Madrid �s typical image is the bear with that tree called "madro�o"
- Valencia: paella
- Castilla la Mancha: Don quijote de la mancha
 Andalucia gazpacho, sevillanas and Bullfighting
- Cadiz: surf (in Tarifa)
- Islas baleares: I guess that �s a boy in Ibiza...  ugly representation of Ibiza.
- Islas Canarias: Cammels, volcanoes, bananas...

Very simple but I think so the picture is... it �s very topical, some of our comunities have much more than these traditions. :(

Hope it will be useful!

14 Sep 2014     

silvia.sv89
Spain

Oux! I forgot it, letter "J" in Aragon represents the typical kind of music there, called "Jota"

14 Sep 2014     

an43
Spain

Ok, I �ll try it. Galicia is very rich in fresh delicious seafood. In Asturias people have the skill of pouring jars of high quality sidra. In El Pa�s Vasco there is a competition where strong men can lift heavy stones of more than 700 pounds. In Navarra, los Sanfermines, in honour of the patr�n, men run through the streets together with bulls during 7 days early in the morning the 7th July (there is a song- 1 de enero, dos de febrero,...7 de Julio San Ferm�n). In Catalu�a a delicious "pa amb tom�quet" which is a slice of bread with olive oil, some garlic and tomato sauce spread on it, but seafood is very special too and a dance: La Sardana. In La Rioja ,there is a special Red Wine, very popular and of high quality. Arag�n is popular for dancing and singing "Las Jotas",that �s why there is a person playing the drum sat on a J(jotas). In Castilla y Le�n "El cochinillo" is so tasty. Extremadura,where there are lands with cattle, very rich for their sheep, delicious lamb and pork with supperb "jam�n". Madrid is represented by a statue located in La Puerta del Sol, "The Bear and The strawberry tree". La comunidad Valenciana is popular for La paella (rice with seafood and meat). Islas Baleares, where Ibiza is located, a place where you can enjoy and have fun with fiestas. Andaluc�a , sevillanas, flamenco, gazpacho (cold tomato soup), bullfighting, beaches where sailing and surfing and Easter and "PROCESIONES". In Castilla la Mancha, Don Quijote and in CAnarias there are bananas, a volcano (El Teide), parrots. I hope it �s useful.

14 Sep 2014     

[email protected]
Spain

Hi, Just add that the bear and the strawberry tree are part of the coat of arms of the city of Madrid. Then, in Murcia, there is a man dresssed in purple with a conical hat, that �s the Easter week procession typical attire for men (covering their faces, their guilt, their shame for the death of Christ). This attire s typical all over Spain, but in Murcia they have very famous sculptures of the Virgin and Christ by a very famous sculptor of the 18th century, Francisco Salzillo, and so the fiesta was declared of International Tourist interest in Murcia. Oh, well... Then there is the Roman soldier in Catalonia for the old settlements of Ampurias and Tarraco Nova with their valuable archaeological sites. I suppose the dancing woman on top of Badajoz, Extremadura, makes reference to the famous Roman theatre in Merida which is kept in very goood condition and it �s still in use. It �s a cute map you got there... :)

14 Sep 2014     

Baronesa
Spain

I would like to say that I �m Spanish and  I completely disagree,as many people do, with the stereotype of bullfighting and flamenco that this map and many maps give of us. That �s not what Spanish people are and we are many many people against bullfighting :(

14 Sep 2014     

[email protected]
Spain

Clich�s are clich�s, and should be regarded as such. I must say I �m not fond of bullfighting either, just in case.

14 Sep 2014     

morganalin
Portugal

Thanks a lot for your help, 

Now things are easier. 

Hugs

14 Sep 2014     

morganalin
Portugal

Don �t worry Margax, of course that this image only represents stereotypes and everyone knows that they are not always representative of a people... and I �ll emphasize that Spain is more than that, we have the same in here in Portugal...

Have a great week dear Spanish colleagues. 

14 Sep 2014     

rockthevinyl
United States

I teach English in Palma de Mallorca and agree with the ensaimada comment...yum! :)

15 Sep 2014     

koala_eukaliptus
Spain

whats the image representing the regi�n of Murcia? I can �t figure out what it is

15 Sep 2014