Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > email address punctuation     

email address punctuation

florimago
Spain

email address punctuation

Hi, I got a Little confused this morning . Is it correct to say "dash" or "hyphen" when referring to email address ? I read somewhere " upperscore"(well underscore, as far as I know is used when reading an email address ) but what�s upperscore ? Thanks in advance for your help Flori

17 Sep 2014      

Zora
Canada

A dash is longer than a hyphen, but basically they are the same thing on a keyboard. An underscore looks like a line, it joins 2 characters. An upperscore is like an underscore, but I believe you need to use an ASCII code to use it or insert it with Word. It usually goes over a number. It is also called an overline or overscore.

17 Sep 2014     

alien boy
Japan

Here �s a quick breakdown of the hyphen, en-dash, & em-dash. http://www.dashhyphen.com/ I �m used to using hyphen as formal language re email or web addresses, and dash casually On Japanese keyboards you can find both kinds of dashes. �Underscore � is also called �underbar �. It �s a common feature on keyboards & word processing software. Here �s a guide to creating an overbar in Word: http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/Overbar.htm Cheers, AB

18 Sep 2014     

yanogator
United States

The simple answer, florimago, (in the US, at least) is that it is formally a hyphen, but everyone here calls it a dash.

Bruce

18 Sep 2014     

florimago
Spain

Thanks a lot for your help !!!

18 Sep 2014