Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Little kids with no iPad or TV     

Little kids with no iPad or TV

izulia
China

Little kids with no iPad or TV

Hi everyone,
I �m sure I should address this question somewhere else but I �d really like to know the opinion of the teachers from this site as it �s still related to education. 
My grandson is two years old and my son, his father, is very strict about keeping him away from watching TV or using iPad or iPhone for educational purposes. He hopes to keep it that way for as long as possible.
This led me to thinking that only few years ago kids did grow up without being attached to the digital devices. They spent more time outside, socializing with each other, etc. On the other hand, I use YouTube files with songs and stories with my three year old students and they seem to help to develop their listening and speaking skills. 
I �m interested in your view on this issue. Is keeping a little child from the educational apps and videos a good thing? I understand that everything should be balanced, etc. but up until what age kids should be kept away from the digital world? 
Thank you.

28 Sep 2014      

Peter Hardy
Australia

There is no such thing as screen time that is good for children. The problem is not what they do with their iPads, it �s what they don �t do. Child development is optimized when children engage in activities that are cognitively and sensorial stimulating. In other words when they do things that pose new puzzles to solve or when make them feel new things. Most screens ask for passive attention. Screens provide a very limited sensory environment. Screens - and lack of sunlight - are bad for developing eyes. Reading books on iPad screens interferes with sleep. IPad Screens can �t play real games. And so on. As the psychologists say: "Development occurs through the process of progressively more complex exchange between a child and somebody else - especially somebody who �s crazy about that child." So ask yourself "Why push children to live in a digital desert when they can grow up in a much richer environment - the real world?" I �m with your son, the father. Keep iPads away from kids as long as possible. It will keep them healthier, and prevent inabilities (kids who can�t stack blocks), obesity and many more problems. Cheers, Peter;

28 Sep 2014     

izulia
China

Thank you Peter, for your thoughtful reply. I do agree with you that kids that are stuck by the screens of digital devices lack in sensorial development. I �m glad my grandson is busy with all sorts of real world activities and hope this will continue for as long as possible.
Have a nice day!

28 Sep 2014     

karagozian
France

I love your comments Peter. They are so full of wisdom. THANKS !!!!

28 Sep 2014