Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Making a text accessible    

Making a text accessible

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Making a text accessible

Hi guys,
I have to deliver a workshop on how to make a text accessible to pupils at an early stage of learning English. I plan to use a page from a Science text book. There is a lot of writing, with questions. I plan to:
*highlight the sentences where the answers can be found
*highlight the key sections and blank words out
*? Any ideas.

In the meantime, I �m looking for my magic wand.
Lynne

8 Oct 2014      

jannabanna
France

You could try some brainstorming before giving them the text, for example JUST give them the title and then ask them (within their English limit, of course) to think of as many words or phrases (expressions) that they may find in the text.  They could even do this in little groups.  It �s quite interesting to compare the students (groups) ideas before handing out the text!  Makes reading comprehension fun too!

I also shared another idea on this here: http://www.eslprintables.com/reading_worksheets/reading_comprehension/READING_COMPREHENSION_IDEA_646566/#thetop

You �ll get lots of other ideas, I �m sure.

Janet

8 Oct 2014     

florimago
Spain

I agree with Janet and you could also use mind maps in the same idea as Janet�s . Have a look at this link, too http://specialed.about.com/od/balancedliteracy/a/comp.htm Hope it helps!!! Magic wands for teaching ? If you ever find them, pleasssseeeee, let me know Flori

8 Oct 2014     

freddie
Canada

I think the task is important as well. Create easy questions so that they can find the answers easily, without reading and understanding the whole text. eg. skimming for numbers, dates, names etc OR counting adjectives, verbs, etc. OR just scanning for the main idea only and choosing the main idea from a list of options. I find that If Ss understand that the task is manageable, the text is accessible.

9 Oct 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thanks very much, guys. Excellent advice. I �m on to this now.
Lynne

9 Oct 2014