Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > arrive with at or not ?    

arrive with at or not ?

epit
Turkey

arrive with at or not ?

Hi! I couldn �t be  sure about usage the verb �arrive �.Should it be used with at or not?In  some resource it is used with at, in some of them it is not used with at.ıf there is a certain explanation I would to know .Thanks for helping from now .

16 Oct 2014      

sarasantos
Portugal

Hi!

Hope it helps!

16 Oct 2014     

rocheitor
Argentina

AT is a static preposition. Therefore, it is usually used with the verb "arrive" as this one is a static verb too. The preposition "TO" implies movement, as it is dynamic. You could use TO in examples such as: "I am driving TO North Carolina now." or "I am going TO Tina �s house tomorrow afternoon." but not in  examples like: "I stopped AT the gas station." I arrived at the hospital at ten." 
Hope it �s clear and useful!

16 Oct 2014     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi,

Except for "arrive home"  (no preposition here, we use:

arrive at...a small/unknown place
arrive in... a big/well-known place

cheers

tere

16 Oct 2014     

dirtyfish
Indonesia

Hello

Arrive needs to be followed by a prepositional phrase ( time phrase ) so it can be followed by :

IN - HE WILL ARRIVE IN THE MORNING OR HE WILL ARRIVE IN OCTOBER
ON - HE WILL ARRIVE ON WEDNESDAY
AT - HE WILL ARRIVE A T SIX O �CLOCK

It can also have time expression and NO preposition, as in HE WILL ARRIVE TOMORROW

It can also be followed by a prepositional phrase of place.  In this case it can be followed by AT / IN.  For example

AT - HE ARRIVED AT THE AIRPORT
IN -HE ARRIVED IN PARIS TWO HOURS AGO

Hope this helps

Sam

16 Oct 2014