Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What would you do if u were in my place???    

What would you do if u were in my place???

Nebal
Lebanon

What would you do if u were in my place???

Helllo again,

Today as I mentioned before is the first day in the Mid-term Tests. So, as I was having a look over my students � answers,I spotted some who used the ( tick) symbol instead of the(X)symbol. By chance,  my supervisor saw it, so she told me to consider it a zero. However, I disagreed with her. The question has 2.5 pts, how would I put a zero for misusing the symbol. I suggested to take away a 0.5 pt. instead. It �s not fair!! Their answers are correct, but misused the symbol.

She told me I am warm-hearted and I shouldn �t pity them. Come on, it �s not pity rather than unfair. We , adults, sometimes misuse these symbols!!!!

What would u do in my place??? The - 1/2 or the 0 !!!!

Hugs,
Nebal

16 Feb 2009      

Mariethe House
France

I would follow my heart!

We teach knowledge but we are models too! The adult we are in front of them is as important

as what we teach. You are not being warm- hearted but generous and intelligent!

So where �s the problem?

16 Feb 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi, I would consider it if I were sure that it was just a symbol mix-up. We want to stimulate our students and not punish them for silly things.

16 Feb 2009     

freddie
Canada

I agree with everyone except your supervisor...and Silke`s idea to give a warning makes alot of sense also. Learning needs our encouragement!  

16 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

Gosh, taking away points for a misused symbol is harsh... too harsh, actually. Stuff like that demotivates instead of motivates - and while they might not be kids, and maybe should know better, they can be the hardest to motivate sometimes and little things like that are sometimes the breaking point... It �s like saying all you are worried about are things like if they got a symbol correct and not the important things, like that they understood the text or made a correct assumption!

I agree with everybody that it is a bad idea to take points off for that reason.

16 Feb 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Thanks everyone , I �m relieved.
Zora, u �re right!! It demotivates sts. I told the supervisor that, but she wasn �t satisfied.
She thinks that by being harsh, sts. will learn. That �s her method which I refuse. She and I teach the same levels and we always argue over things like this one. UHHHHHHHHHH!!!
 Thanks again!!!
Hugs,
Nebal 

16 Feb 2009     

douglas
United States

Perhaps you need to  explain(remind) your supervisor of the purpose of testing.  It is to evaluate the students � knowledge in English, other courses can evaliuate their ability to follow instructions.  If the student has displayed the desired ability, it needs to be positively reinforced. Your supervisor �s attitude of "Kicking them in the rear" for using the wrong symbol is exactly why we have so many students today with motivation problems.

I �d give them full points and then talk to them about using the proper format next time--the problem could lay in the directions that were given.

Douglas

16 Feb 2009