Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > corky    

corky

titine69
France

corky

I don �t understand "corky"in the sentence"the corkiest Thanksgiving traditions began in 1989 when President George H.W.Bush granted the first official pardon to a turkey".What does it mean,please?Is it a synonym of lively?I have searched a translation but in vain.(apart from �cork �related to wine)Can you help me ,please?
Thank you
Titine 

28 Nov 2014      

isabelfalk
Brazil

Take a look here: http://pt.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=corky 

28 Nov 2014     

titine69
France

Thank you Isabel but I still can �t find the meaning ;what is the link with thanksgiving traditions?Could someone explain?

28 Nov 2014     

FrauSue
France

I think "corky" here is a form of (or a mis-transliterated form of) "quirky". The quirkiest Thanksgiving tradition started in 1989 .... . Then it would mean strange, bizarre or unusual.

28 Nov 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree the Frau Sue. Quirky was the first thing I thought of when I read the sentence. Corky does not make any sense.

28 Nov 2014     

titine69
France

ok then.That �s probably why I couldn �t find the meaning.Thanks for your help everybody.

28 Nov 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

It could mean:

Cute and dorky all rolled into one:�you �re so corky!�

A slightly retarded or Downs person.�� Ref. Life Goes On (early �90 ABC series) Look at those Corkys getting on the short bus
or�
Person who is a slightly retarded or slow:� Damn that boy is a corky bastard��
An American president in office from 2001 thru 2009, so nick-named due to his resemblance to an 80s TV character of the same name from the hit TV series "Life Goes On".
Person A: Check it out. Corky �s on the TV.��
Person B: I thought that series was off the air since 1993.
Person A: Not that Corky. The other one.�
Cheers, Peter�

29 Nov 2014     

kwsp
United States

My initial reaction was that �corky � should be �kooky � :
Synonyms
bizarre, crazy, curious, eccentric, erratic, far-out, funky, funny, odd (also kookie), offbeat, off-kilter, off-the-wall, outlandish, out-of-the-way, peculiar, quaint, queer, quirky, remarkable, screwy, strange, wacky (also whacky), way-out, weird,� wild

�but from the British English perspective, Peter �s reply looks to me like it is the correct answer.

29 Nov 2014     

titine69
France

Thanks again!
To me,I think it is a synonym of �quirky � like Frausue suggested or �kooky �,kwsp because it deals with the tradition of granting the official pardon to a turkey,which was quite strange  at the time. But who knows???
Thanks Peter for your "cute and dorky" for corky!:)) 
Big hugs my friends
Titine 

29 Nov 2014