Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > IELTS Question    

IELTS Question

Kempyx
Fiji

IELTS Question

Hello everyone,
What �s your opinion on the use of brackets () in the IELTS writing task 1? It �s often convenient to use brackets to include some numbers in your essay, but I �m not sure if the examiners penalise students for excessive use. For example:

"an overwhelming majority of skilled vocational diplomas are held by men (90%), while only 10% are held by women. Males also hold a higher proportion of postgraduate diplomas (70%-30%) and master �s degrees (60%-40%), while females hold more bachelor �s degrees (55%-45%)."

Would this be an acceptable sentence for IELTS writing?
Thanks! 

7 Dec 2014      

Gi2gi
Georgia

Why should there be a penalty? The use is preferable in those cases, and there seems to be no deviation from stylistics. A language, either written or  oral should serve the purpose to express the train of thought as effectively as it can.

7 Dec 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with Gi2gi. This kind of thing is pernicious. I �ve heard of brilliant kids in English language GCSEs getting poor marks because they didn �t answer the questions �in the right way. � 

7 Dec 2014     

joannajs
Poland

As you know who (which I can �t state for Cambridge reasons) you �d better express these numbers exactly through saying like the possible candidate did ("overwhelming majority", "higher proportion" and the like). The percentages in the essay are only provided to check if a person knows a variety of these, and as always, it �s  best to lift as few of any expressions from the original as possible :-)

7 Dec 2014     

PhilipR
Thailand

What you give as an example would not be considered very good IELTS language. First of all, when expressing numbers, the lower one should come first (e.g. 45%-55%). Second, the IELTS task 1 expects you to be able to paraphrase numbers, for example 45-55% could be expressed as �about half �, 48% is just under half, 70% could be just over two thirds etc. There is no reason to both paraphrase, and give the numbers between brackets. Your �overwhelming majority � could be called nine out of ten, which would be better than including the numbers.

7 Dec 2014