Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Unacceptable worksheet    

Unacceptable worksheet

freddie
Canada

Unfortunately I think it isn`t outdated as there seems to be A LOT of fear based ignorance in the world STILL!! Having said that, our focus is not politics as we have previously agreed here in the forum, it is ESL and that isn`t an ESL resource and I have reported it as such.

18 Feb 2009     

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

As I said in a comment, ARE YOU SURE YOU �RE NOT DECRIBING YOURSELF IN THAT WORKSHEET????? Probably you are the one who �s got serious problems.

Because if you agree with it, I think you are the one who is MENTALLY ILL.
I just hope you are NOT a teacher. Shocked

IT �S DISGUSTING. Thumbs Down

18 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

Okay, I was reading everyone �s thoughts about the topic and I agree more or less with Douglas and Freddie for a couple of reason. And while it is just a text as Logos pointed out; it is an ESL resource. Other people here have uploaded short stories and the like without any questions or vocab. work... to me things like that can be added later by the teacher if they want to...

Now the topic at hand, while it is a touchy subject, most people should remember that these "ideas" still persist and that in many countries in the world being gay is still considered a crime that is - in the best of cases - punishable by prison time and the worst - the death penalty!

As Douglas has pointed out such a thing is perhaps for advanced level students BUT that �s okay. I think young adults need to be challenged and if a teacher can handle the topic responsibly "kudos to him or her"! There are students out there with good levels that will go on to an English speaking high school, college or university and might be asked to debate such topics in class.

People have also got to remember that this is a site is not only for beginner levels and intermediate - in fact there have been complaints in the past that their isn �t enough Advanced/Proficiency level worksheets.

One last thing, I am also of the same opinion as Krizti, we should let people decide what they need. I saw this worksheet last night and just shrugged when I saw it because it wasn �t what I needed and moved on...

Also, before anybody thinks to say I am hypocritical because I complained about the "F-word worksheet" - my concerns were that the tone of the worksheet didn �t reflect the seriousness of using such a vulgar "word"... but otherwise, if people want to download such a sheet and use it in class, well that �s their prerogative and not my place to say. We are all adults here and this "witch hunt" of what is appropriate and what isn �t is a bit childish... if you don �t agree with a worksheet, do not download it and if it �s offensive in your opinion - report it....

Anyways, sorry for being long winded here...

18 Feb 2009     

freddie
Canada

Hi Zora,

But usually texts without exercises are questioned as ESL resources was my point, aren`t they?

I agree with you though, we can`t start censoring folk`s opinions either.

But I have a thought frankly...I had a look at this member`s printables and it struck me that this member MOST LIKELY knew this would cause a reaction and perhaps wanted a reaction.

18 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hi Freddie,

I have downloaded about fifteen or twenty short stories here for class without questions at the bottom... and personally, almost always I end up changing the questions at the bottom of worksheets anyways. So for me, to have a text handy that I can just scan over quickly and add two or three question to talk about or answer is just as useful - or more perhaps - than one with questions I need to change anyways...

BUT that is my opinion... and with regards to the worksheet, the topic itself is controversial so I can not say. What I read just seemed like a lot of the uninformed myths that I have heard in the past about the disease.

18 Feb 2009     

genzianella
Italy

well, even if there are no questions or exercises at the end of the ws, I think it can still be considered as ESL material. What I don �t agree with is the content. There�s enough hatred and intolerance going around, we don�t need any more of it, especially in class.

18 Feb 2009     

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

WELL SAID, genzianella!!!!

18 Feb 2009     

viggia (F)
Italy

UNACCEPTABLE is just a euphemism.  I find it offensive as well as full of bullshit!

What about thinking of a list of adjectives to describe such a nonsense?
I �ll start with mine:

1. OUTRAGEOUS
2. NARROW MINDED
3. STRONGLY OFFENSIVE
4. GROSS
5. SIMPLY STUPID THEREFORE BORING AND ABOSOLUTELY USELESS.

18 Feb 2009     

fletsch
Canada

Thanks everyone for re-affirming my views on this worksheet.  I really hope that "fungirl" hasn �t actually  used this worksheet in class. I just can �t imagine being a gay student in her/his classroom and being given this handout.  Hopefully our feedback/comments has taught "fungirl" something about what is appropriate for a teacher to use in a classroom.   Racism or intolerance is not acceptable to teach in the classroom or on ESL Printables.

18 Feb 2009     

isabelle99
Monaco

it �s funny how we, teachers can be distorted by our job. This WS has nothing to do with being an esl material or not. It �s just dangerous propaganda. As a mother, if my son would come back from school with that, I would go and see the teacher, the headmaster and make a scandal. Cause, even if it was entitled "prejudiced ideas against homosexual", i guess pupils would have to learn those prejudiced ideas to be assessed and it �s indeed unacceptable! 

18 Feb 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >