Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Grading help!! What would you do, teachers???    

Grading help!! What would you do, teachers???

Nebal
Lebanon

Guys, you see !!! Some of you are with taking away marks, and others are against.
Well, I �m still unable to decide coz all of you are right!!!
You´re right, dear Damielleta. I have a scale.

Butt, I think the best thing is to correct  content as well as form. This way the student will take marks according to how well-organized and fairly divided his paper is. I �ll consider his language , & squence of ideas. I shall take away 2 marks for not following the exact given instructions.
What do you think???????
You make me more and more hesistant.
I will not act. I will wait for more judgements.
Waitinggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!

Nebal

18 Feb 2009     

ants
Switzerland

Hi,

I agree with most of what everyone else has written.

Take off two points for him not paying attention....your student will soon learn to pay attention....and then correct content and the rest as you normaly would do for any other test.

You are the only one now to make the final decision...so courage...do it and then you �ll feel much better. Thumbs Up

Good luck!!

Who said that teaching was easy. Smile

18 Feb 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

Dear Nebal,

I wish the instructions you gave to your students were clear.

If we base our judgements on the communicative approach,this student has failed to communicate.And as Libertybelle said,the instructions are part of the test.

If we base them on the GTM,part of what we are supposed to assess is the std �s ability to use the past tense and he hasn �t given you the opportunity.
So if you penalize him or her,you won �t regret it.

Sometimes a grade can be a good lesson

Good luck

18 Feb 2009     

douglas
United States

Important question:  Was the day before he took the test a weekend? 

If so, no points should be deducted.

If not, I personally would take this as him making a vocabulary mistake (weekend vs yesterday) and grade the paper as if it was the correct topic but had a word usage mistake.

I am big on trying not to discourage creativity by forcing children into the mold described as "correct" by society.  This child wrote something in English if it was understandable he should be encouraged to continue to use English.

Douglas

19 Feb 2009     

< Previous   1    2