Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Storywriting    

Storywriting

EstherLee76
Peru

Storywriting

Hi,

It �s summer here and I have some A2 students preparing for their exam retakes.  They are required to do some writing on the exam.  They are doing well enough on biographies, essays and letters.  However, they all seem to be stuck when it comes to storywriting which I believe will definitely be on the exam.  They say they have no ideas.  It �s quite sad.

Any suggestions on how to get them going?

Thanks so much,
Esther 

20 Jan 2015      

maryse pey�
France

Hi Esther,
What I make my students do in such a case is :
step 1 : underline the main words in what is asked to do
step 2 :write as many words they can think of (in their mother tongue if they do not know them in English in order to find synonyms or equivalent expressions) linked to the subject as possible. It does not matter if there are verbs, nouns or adjectives. They are ideas to be used or not but it is like a "skeleton" is some way.They will "build" the sentences of their text with the words they have chosen adding some new or cancelling some. These words are like a thread.
step 3 : write the beginning AND the end of their text. This makes them clarify and improve the coherence of their ideas.
Make them temember that they must answer to the wh- questions : WHO ? WHEN ? WHERE ? WHY ? HOW ?
Then they must remember the 5 steps for a story :
1) Initial situation
2) What or who caused the problem
3) The consequences of the change
4) The solutions found by the character(s)
5) Final situation
If you work in class you can try to work with them : send a student to the blackboard and try with the whole class. Some kind of brainstorming. It is not a student but the whole students to gather their ideas and write a text. You may even put it on internet to encourage their creativity. Why not ? It works !
Here are some way to help them. I hope this may be useful for you.
Maryse.

20 Jan 2015     

EstherLee76
Peru

Wow!  That �s sound great!  I �m going to try that tomorrow.

Thanks a million, Maryse! 

20 Jan 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Can you give them writing prompts?  http://www.daily-writing-prompt.com/story-starters.html lists some sites..

20 Jan 2015     

maggiejeria
Chile

Redcamarocruiser, that website is not abailable.

20 Jan 2015     

alien boy
Japan

Check again maggiejeria - I opened it up without a problem from red �s link.

20 Jan 2015     

FrauSue
France

For descriptions in stories, get them to think about the five senses.

So they should decide what the character can see/smell/taste/feel (touch)/hear. They write 5 nouns for each sense.

Then they need to reflect on the tone and atmosphere of their story. They should choose a verb or adjective to go with each noun that matches the atmosphere.

So, for example a character who can hear waves might hear them "crashing" in a scary story, but "whispering gently" in a calm story. The sky might be "bright" in a fairy tale, but "menacing" in a horror story.

I hope that helps! 

21 Jan 2015     

EstherLee76
Peru

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I used that site, Red Camaro Cruiser.  I had a lot of story starting sentences and story titles that I put on little pieces of paper and asked them to choose.  They got excited about that, but then peetered out.

I think they need even more support like Maryse and Frau Sue are suggesting.  I �m going to give those a try.

Thanks so much to all of you!

Esther 

21 Jan 2015