Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > confusing words    

confusing words

dmharg
Greece

confusing words

Hello my friends. I have a problem explaining something to a student of mine for the first time and I need your help.

Investors have taken .........from the improving economic situation
A.heart      B.courage      C.consolation      D.meaning

The problem is: why A is correct and B is not. It is the same thing, isn �t it????? 

3 Feb 2015      

eliona-jc
Albania

take courage = to feel confident and hopeful because of sth

take heart = to feel happier and less worried

You are right. They do seem confusing.  I would go with" take heart" because it makes more sense in this context.  Investors are feeling less worried with the improving economic situation.
I take the courage to ask someone to marry me eg or to ask for a pay rise ( you dare to ask)
but you " the team took heart from their last victory". The  victory inspired them to feel happier and to be more optimistic.

3 Feb 2015     

Zora
Canada

Take courage means basically "to be brave about smthing"... at least from where I come from, so I would say it �s "take heart".

3 Feb 2015     

Apodo
Australia

I agree with the explanations and To take heart is a commonly used phrase in this type of context.

3 Feb 2015     

dmharg
Greece

Thank you all so much :)

4 Feb 2015