Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help me about the bored kids by the time    

Please help me about the bored kids by the time

sedefcem
Turkey

Please help me about the bored kids by the time

I give English lessons to two little kids aged 8 and 9 ones a week for two hours.It has been for a month.They love me and the ways i teach.But one of them is getting bored so quickly and affects his friend in a negative way.In fact,he is generally down faced and i feel like i should help him love learning.He has everthing he has wanted in his usual life.I use songs,drama,writing and colouring even cutting activities.I give them half an hour to play with their toys and at that time english songs are still on.I stick smiling faces on completed tasks.But he is always asking me when We will have a break and doesn �t want to do the activities.Can you help me for making them happier and willing for the lessons?

18 Mar 2015      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Have you tried tailoring the lesson themes to he bored students interests (or needs)?

Maybe he would like board games in which he could interact with you and the other student during play time. There are several on this site. 

Maybe he would enjoy online games with you.
When they are playing with their toys, is there a task assigned related to the playing or toys, or is it free time? Some students require more direction for their energies.

Maybe he would like a hand craft that is related to the theme of the lesson. Example: If you are reading the very hungry caterpillar, they could make a paper butterfly at the end of the lesson. If they are reading the 3 Bears, they could make a model house or a pop up book.

18 Mar 2015     

sedefcem
Turkey

Their needs are different.The nine year-old boy says that he knows all the things that we study together.The other boy is so willing and a new learner.This is an advantage for him but disadvantage for the other. He has no time limit for using the computer at home.So he knows everything and gets bored quickly. They have free time with the toys. Thanks for your precious ideas.I �ll try handcrafts and boardgames or online ones.

18 Mar 2015     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

Two hours is quite a long period for this age I think. Maybe it would be more useful to have one hour lesson twice a week?

18 Mar 2015     

alien boy
Japan

I �d be giving them a few breaks from study - toilet, drink or snack, too. It sounds like you �re doing a great range of activities! Does the 9 year old like to read? Some free reading time (using graded reading materials) couild be really good for him to have while you teach the younger child. 

18 Mar 2015     

papadeli
Greece

1. Great online games
  2. Make them move
  3. Differernt flashcards
  4. Ziplock bags for writing or drawing 
  5. Twister

Greetings from Greece,

18 Mar 2015     

sedefcem
Turkey

Thanks all of you for your advices;))

19 Mar 2015     

anuska8
Spain

I also think that 2 hours is a long time for these ages. So, you can apply Total Physical Responde activities at the ending of one hour including the vocabulary you have teached before. For example, if you have a whiteboard (although if it is a little one) you can say: WRITE THE WORD APPLE, ROUND THE WORD APPLE, DRAW A BANANA, CIRCLE THE BANANA, TOUCH YOUR NOSE, TOUCH A BOOK, OPEN THE BOOK ON PAGE SIX, ASK A QUESTION TO YOUR PARTNER, etc during 10 minutes more or less. I use this procedure with 6 years students and they have a break and like these exercises a lot. Moreover, they can ask you some commands later in the same way, feeling achieved to do it. 

If they like reading, you can also do this activity. Anyway, is it possible that the bored student already know the contents you introduce? Maybe you have to give him more advance materials. 

On the other hand, I think your work is so good using lots of motivating materials. Most of times teaching is a hard work. 

Hugs!

Ana. 

20 Mar 2015