Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is it OK?    

Is it OK?

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Is it OK?

Dear colleagues,

I have a title for a project:

FROM APPLE TO BIOETHANOL

and I wonder if it is OK to understand the noun apple as an uncountable noun and thus use it without any article since what is meant in not a fruit but a substance. What is your opinion? I would really appreciate it. 

Thank you.

1 Apr 2015      

yanogator
United States

Yes, it is fine as a title, for exactly the reason you said. You are considering a bin full of apple "meat" rather than the fruit itself.

Bruce 

1 Apr 2015     

kwsp
United States

Hi! The state I live in, the state of Iowa, produces nearly 25% of all corn ethanol production in the USA.  I teach ESL, but I am also a corn producer so I am fairly familiar with the topic.

Using apples as an uncountable  for processing ethanol sounded really awkward to me, so I Googled it and this is the title that came up: 

From apples to ethanol: Manson teacher finds power in wasted fruit

The article is very short, but here is the link: http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2011/jul/13/from-apples-to-ethanol-manson-teacher-finds-power/ 

If you prefer to talk about the "substance" rather than the fruit itself, then here is another article:

Bioethanol Production from Apple Pomace left after Juice Extraction

and the link: https://ispub.com/IJMB/5/2/3963  

You can reword it to say, From Apple Pomace to Bioethanol. I guess I am assuming that the "substance" you are talking about is pomace, or apple waste which comes from making apples into juice.

Hope this helps!

Cheers from Iowa,
kwsp 

1 Apr 2015     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Dear Yanogator and Kwsp,

I am grateful for your comments- sometimes I come to a conclusion and I make a decision what to say/write/use  based on my English language knowledge, but I often wonder if that is OK. Anyway, I have got the feeling that it is more likely that some "funny" phrases or sentences are right and I should be more open. I might say that I am a kind of a "Purist", probably because of my mother tonge. Slovene is awfully rigid when it comes to grammatical accuracy.

Thank you.
Have a nice day ;)) 

2 Apr 2015