Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > colloquialism    

colloquialism

yanogator
United States

In the US, "woe betide" is considered totally archaic, but I guess the British still use it. I don �t think we have any equivalent in current US usage. A lot of people would say - Excuse my language here - Shit! or Damn! Others have their own personal expressions. "Alas" is another word that is considered to be archaic.

Bruce 

26 Apr 2015     

jannabanna
France

Hi,

As a Brit, I �m inclined to go along with spinney:

"I was fired a week ago.  Woe betide me if I don �t find another job soon!"

But what about:

"I was fired a week ago.  I �d better find another job soon!"

Janet 

26 Apr 2015     

aleia
Portugal

And what about the expression: woe is me!

Is it still much used in English? if so, meaning what?

26 Apr 2015     

spinney
United Kingdom

Have a look at this:
As I said before, almost archaic but not quite as you can see from the dictionary entry and I would say it fits  "mal de mim" pretty well. I would be very surprised if it was used in The States although you never know. 

26 Apr 2015     

yanogator
United States

Spinney is right - "Woe is me" is considered archaic in the US. Everyone recognizes it, but no one says it. It seems to mean about the same as "mal de mim".

Bruce

26 Apr 2015     

MariFonseca
Brazil

Hello, I speak portuguese and am from Brazil

I think the best way to translate the sentence would be, in PORTUGUESE: QUE AZAR O MEU, or , AZAR MEU.
In English, it means that the person feels without luck, badluck... so, I �d put like this:

"I was fired a week ago. What a bad luck of mine if I don ´t find another job soon!"

26 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Worse luck for me. 

26 Apr 2015     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Bugger me. (The modern meaning, not the old one!)

Image result for bugger me

26 Apr 2015     

douglas
United States

"Lord help me."

27 Apr 2015     

Zora
Canada

I like "Lord help me" ... I �d have to agree with Douglas there, and I also agree that it is probably something like  "What bad luck" or "What rotten luck".

Woe is me or woe betide is totally archaic in Canada too. We recognise it, but hardly anybody would actually use it in conversation.  

27 Apr 2015     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >