Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > CONFUSED ABOUT VOCABULARY    

CONFUSED ABOUT VOCABULARY

monder78
Poland

CONFUSED ABOUT VOCABULARY

Hello Dear  Fellow Teachers ,

Please help me with the following vocabulary items :

1. Do witches from faily  tales  fly/ride  a besom or a broomstick ?What �s the difference  ?

2. What monsters are  little  children usually  scared  by their parents  if they keep being naughty and don �t mend their ways ?

3.Signs of passing time /passage of time     is it correct ?

4.Do you use the word fish porkolt or fish goulash ? (a mixture of  different  ingredients  , chiefly fish, some spices  in a tin )

5. What does a mechanic do with a dent is a car  to remove it ? what is the proper word  ?

what can a service man  do to make the mileage smaller  ? 

6. Do you withdraw a formal complaint ?

Thank you so much. I am aware that for a native speaker those questions are as easy as ABC :) 

3 May 2015      

yanogator
United States

1. A witch flies on a broomstick, rides on a broomstick, or rides a broomstick. The three are interchangeable.

2. Many people would call that bad parenting. I think the most common, at least in the US, is the Boogey Man (spelled many different ways). 

3. signs of the passage of time is  little more common, although I think signs of passing time is OK, too.

4. I have never heard of fish goulash, but I �m sure that porkolt is purely a Hungarian word. It might be used in other parts of Europe, but definitely not in the US.

5. I think a person hammers out a dent, although there are other means available.
It �s illegal, but you roll back the odometer to reduce the mileage. 

6. Yes, you withdraw a complaint.
Bruce 

3 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Agree with Bruce and I will add: 
2.Yes, the bogey man, although I haven �t heard it for a while. Nowadays a bogey is a green thing up your nose. 
3. The passing of time. 
4. We all use the word goulash, but it �s usually used for meat dishes. We say fish stew and in a restaurant, we expect it to be called bouillabaisse. 

Lynne 

3 May 2015     

monder78
Poland

Thx , you are reliable as usual :) Perfect answers

3 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

I checked in my Hungarian cookbook and would like to expand on #4, now that I �m clear on what porkolt is.

I have a recipe for pontyporkolt (carp porkolt) as well as chicken and  veal porkolts. Since the small amount of liquid that is used is cooked off, these are not stews.

So I think the closest term we have in English (although it �s actually French) is ragout.

One more note, which unfortunately confuses the issue, is that porkolt is in the chapter called Traditional Stews.

Bruce 

3 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Fish medley?

3 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Lynne,

"Fish medley" would make me think of a variety of fish cooked together. According to my Hungarian cookbook, porkolt (which literally means "seared")  is a way of cooking meat, poultry or fish with vegetables in very little liquid, until the liquid is gone, so I still think "fish ragout" is the closest term we have.

Bruce 

3 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Fair enough, Bruce. I think part of the trouble with labelling this dish is that it �s not really a dish we cook. Although it does sound very tasty...

3 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Very good point, Lynne. I guess it would be best just to call it "fish porkolt", since porkolt isn �t something that �s made in other countries. We call crepes by their French name and schnitzel by its German name, so keeping its Hungarian name certainly has a precedent.

Bruce

3 May 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Regarding no 5

If it is a big dent a panelbeater will fix it,  remove it,or knock it out, with a mallet and the repaint the panel.  However, there is new technology now where the repairperson will  massage it. No kidding!

My recipe books says that Porkolt is a Hungarian stew.

3 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Jayho, the books call it a stew, but if you read the recipe, you �ll see that the liquid is cooked out, so I don �t think stew is the right word for it.

Bruce

3 May 2015     

1    2    Next >