Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Capitalization    

Capitalization

Elle81
United Kingdom

Capitalization

A big hello to all you teachers out there, 
I have two sentences that have been giving me a headache. I am not sure if the words "post office and medical centre" should be capitalized. Generally speaking if they were given names, then they are capitalized. But what in case of the post office in the Uk, where they have no names??? 

1. There is a new post office opening on Thursday.
2. A new medical centre was opened last week. 
I hope someone can shed light on this.
Thanks in advance.
Elle 

15 Jun 2015      

redcamarocruiser
United States

The words post office and medical center should not be capitalized unless you are saying The United States Post Office (proper noun). http://www.elcivics.com/esl_post_office_3.html

15 Jun 2015     

MoodyMoody
United States

To elaborate on redcamarocruiser �s explanation, don �t capitalize post office or medical centre/center (-re is British English, -er is American English) unless it is a specific post office or medical center. That makes them proper nouns, which means they should be capitalized. Examples: "The Sedgefield Post Office is holding a package for me," or "Carolinas Medical Center is supposed to have a good cardiology department."

As far as the UK is concerned, if you are just talking about a post office in general, don �t capitalize. If you are referring to the postal service itself (and if it is simply called The Post Office; I don �t know), then yes, capitalize it. I would guess, however, that the UK has some more formal designation.

15 Jun 2015     

SN2015
India

capitalize post office or medical centre/center unless it is a specific post office or medical center mumbai local train route. That makes them proper nouns, which means they should be capitalized. Examples: "The Sedgefield Post Office is holding a package for me," or "Carolinas Medical Center is supposed to have a good cardiology department."
As far as the UK is concerned, if you are just talking about a post office in general, don ´t capitalize. If you are referring to the postal service
more:  http://mumbailocaltraintimetable.net

17 Jun 2015     

gujaratpackers
India

if you are just talking about a post office in general, don ´t capitalize. If you are referring to the postal service itself (and if it is simply called The Post Office; I don ´t know), then yes, capitalize it. I would guess, however, that the UK has some more formal designation.

14 May 2018