Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Tortillas    

Tortillas

dackala
Serbia

Tortillas

Dear all,

I found on the Internet (Wikipedia) that Tortillas come from Texas but Burritos and Tacos from Mexico. I don �t know what to think as I �m not sure that it is sure as I  thought that all come from Mexico?

Thanks in advance,
Darija

28 Jun 2015      

yanogator
United States

I think you misread the article, Darija. Apparently, burritos originated in Texas (although I �m not sure when, so maybe while it was part of Mexico), but corn tortillas were around before the Europeans came to the new world.. Here is what I found:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortilla

Bruce 

28 Jun 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Don �t forget about taut ear which is a painful condition and can affect any nationality;-)

29 Jun 2015     

yanogator
United States

Lynn, I think few people outside of Great Britain and Australia, New Zealand are going to get that one.

Bruce

29 Jun 2015     

douglas
United States

I sure didn �t !

29 Jun 2015     

yanogator
United States

@Douglas - If you say "taut ear" with Michael Caine �s accent, it sounds like the British pronunciation of "tortilla".

Or I might have missed Lynne �s point completely.

Bruce 

29 Jun 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Darija made this post to get the spammer off the page (am I right, Darija?). I didn �t think she was that concerned about tortillas and burritos. 

So I felt a facetious comment was in order. Tortilla sounds like the painful condition taut ear;-) and there is no other meaning. I sincerely apologise for the silly comment.  
Lynne 

29 Jun 2015     

snoelle22
Japan

I`m Mexican-American and this is one of my favorite comfort foods.
The authentic burrito as we know it was created in the Mission District in San Francisco. Possibly at El Faraolito taqueria. 

Mexico doesn`t have burritos, but they did invent tacos. A burrito is a type of Californian taco that includes beans, sometimes rice, lettuce, sometimes meat, etc. The styles differ by region in California, but they`re not very authentic outside of California or in non-Mexican-American establishments. If you order a burrito in a restaurant in California that`s a bit too authentic, they`ll serve you a taco full of meat and wrapped in a big flour tortilla. A taco is usually much more simplistic and isn`t as substantial. Taco tortillas can be folded over (usually corn) or wrapped (like the American burrito). Flour tortilla tacos aren`t common in Mexico. I`m pretty positive that`s just a Taco Bell fast food thing.  

And yes, corn tortillas were created by the natives. They used a lot of corn back then. 

29 Jun 2015     

dackala
Serbia

Lynne, I didn �t actually think to get the spammer off as you say but yes, I �m really concerned about it as I want to make a printable on food :))
Bryce- it �s true that I misread it, quickly scanned it and apparently didn �t get the gist! Thank you for clarifying!

Snoelle22 - Thanks you for valuable, precious info! I �ll try to find about it a bit more on the net!

1 Jul 2015     

dackala
Serbia

I apologize for my mistakes in the post, luckily you managed to understand :)

1 Jul 2015