Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Should I stay or should I go?    

Should I stay or should I go?

carinita
Argentina

Should I stay or should I go?

If you had to quit a teaching post because the school owes you three months � salary (& you need your salary), would you tell your students the reason why you �re leaving them or not?
Suppose you �ve developed a great relationship with them during these months and and you feel you �re hiding things or that you �ll be seen as a liar otherwise.
(Students are 14-17 year old) 
Thanks

20 Jul 2015      

SaraMariam
United States

I have been in a similar situation before, so I totally understand where you are coming from. I think there are several factors to consider.
As for the kids, I always have the principle to not involve children in adult issues. Psychologically speaking they have enough to deal with in their own lives, especially at that age (half kid-half adult :p) and they may not understand certain things the right way and neither do they have to. So I would probably not tell them. Even if you have a great relationship, you are their teacher and they are your students, you are not their friend. As harsh as it may sound.  I also had a great relationship and till today I get invited to dinner to some of them, but I don �t tell them about private things and problems. Try to be a bit diplomatic if they ask you why you are leaving. 

If parents ask, I might say what �s going on (depending also on the school situation). If you are at odds with your school because they are really "not nice" and just not paying you because they are greedy, then I couldnt care less what the parents think about the school and let them know to what school they send their kids (because I think they would have a right to know, if they are giving money to a school that is not playing fair - they may not like that). But if I know that the school really struggles and tries its best to pay me, just it can �t, then I would probably act a bit differently, because the situation would only get worse for the school in the long run and other teachers maybe.

That �s at least what I �m thinking, maybe others have better advice :)
I wish you good luck!! I hope you find a great school, or maybe make your own thing ;)

Cheers,
Sara 

20 Jul 2015     

elderberrywine
Germany

There is no way you will not be considered vindictive if you tell your students about the missing salary.

It´s simply none of their business and it would be highly unprofessional if you told them.They are your students, not your friends, no matter how well you get on with them. Being completely transparent and giving reasons for everything is unprofessional.

A young colleague of mine who had to leave our school after his 2 years � contract had run out told all his classes that not enough had been done to keep him at the school, that he was disappointed etc. I think he expected his students to put the headmaster under pressure to keep him on. VERY BAD STYLE. 

I would let the students know that your leaving the school has nothing to do with them, on the contrary, that you will miss them a lot. But they probably know that anyway.
Sorry for being so blunt....
elderberry

20 Jul 2015     

carinita
Argentina

Got it...Yes, it would be unprofessional. I agree.

20 Jul 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Carinita, I am sorry to hear that your school hasn �t paid you! Everybody needs to live. How can they get away with it? Is there no professional body or union you can consult? 

20 Jul 2015     

carinita
Argentina

Thanks, Cunliffe I �ll try to get advice.

20 Jul 2015