Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD DEFINITION GAME    

WORD DEFINITION GAME

isa2
Austria

WORD DEFINITION GAME

Thanks to Sophia, I am the next in line to choose a word for you to define. Here it is:
 cockamamie

Let your imagination flow! What might this word mean?

A short reminder: Please do not look up the real definition. Try to make up a funny/witty definition of your own.
The crazier your entry, the higher your chances to win the cup ;-)
Have fun.

2 Aug 2015      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

cockamamie the female dealer who rules the gang of narcotics in the streets. 

2 Aug 2015     

MoodyMoody
United States

Patrick Dennis �s Auntie Mame �s pet rooster when she was trying out farm life.

2 Aug 2015     

Manuhk
Hong Kong

Cockamamie (noun) Cock = cockroach Mamie = derogatory name for any teacher you hate Hence, a cockamamie is most definitely a badass teacher who kills cockroaches

2 Aug 2015     

kwsp
United States

COCKAMAMIE: A rooster feather hat inspired by the hat worn in the early 1900 �s by Mamie Eisenhower, wife of Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th President of the United States.

example: Where did you get that cockamamie hat?

Mamie, Doug, and Dwight D. Eisenhower

Isa2, 
I hope you don�t mind my pun. This was one of my father�s favorite words and I heard it a lot when I was growing up!
:-)
kwsp

3 Aug 2015     

elderberrywine
Germany

You know what mummies are. Boring folk, all wrapped up in themselves. They sleep forever, so to speak. Mamie is another way of spelling mummy.
What used to wake up people in the past, at least in my part of the world? Cocks
So a cockamamie is a cock that crows so loud that he can even wake up mummies. 
 That was easy!

4 Aug 2015     

maryse pey�
France

It is a mixing between English and French !

Cock is the English way of COQ (the meaning is the same).

AMAMIE is the contraction for A � MA MIE (precious old French), that is to say TO MY SWEETIE.

The man was French and the French symbol is a  COCK. The girl was English. But they wanted a coded word to say : Let �s meet when the sun rises and the cock awakes the world.

Here we are ! COCKAMAMIE was born !

5 Aug 2015