Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I need your help!    

I need your help!

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

I need your help!

Tomorrow I �ll discuss teenagers problems with my students. They can ask a question but I �m not ready to answer which word is more used "zits", "acne" or "pimples". And what do the teenagers often do with them "squeeze" or "pop"? Can you help me?

Julia

30 Aug 2015      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, most commonly, we just call them spots. Pimples are really small ones and zits - yes -  is another word for spots. Acne is the condition and you can use it for a collection (if I may put it like that!) of spots, as in, �Oh my acne is bad today. � We squeeze them and then they pop. Or you can pop them. I guess a purist would say that you can squeeze them without them actually popping.
Yuck, I can �t believe I �ve just written all this;-) 

30 Aug 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Are you teaching British English, Julia, or also American?  

Spots is not used in American English to refer to pimples.  TV commercials call it acne when they try to sell remedies such as Clearasil. Most teens used to call them pimples, but one used to also hear the word zits occasionally. Recently, I have not had contact with anyone who has this problem, but I have heard the word zit in American sitcoms.

30 Aug 2015     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

Thanks for you both! I teach British English, but I give an American variant of the word too. They need to know them  and see the difference. 

30 Aug 2015     

douglas
United States

USA: you "pop a zit" (or pimple) and if you have more than one zit you have acne.

1 Sep 2015