Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > SOS!!!    

SOS!!!

monpi
Chile

SOS!!!

Hello everyone! I need your help.. I �m in my practical teaching, and my class ( 1st grade) the students don´t read and write in their mother tongue yet, and obsviously they don �t read and write in english either, but they can identify the sounds in english. My problem is that my teacher ( in the school) needs that the students can write specially the parts of the body in english.. I have thought in simples activities, but I �m of the idea that is a long process.. Isn´t it? What can I do?

Have a nice day! 

23 Sep 2015      

SVieira
Portugal

Hi, Monpi!
That seems a truly daunting task, as during the EFL lessons (English not being your children �s mother tongue, I suppose it is EFL) you cannot be expected to train the fine motor skills that are needed for the writing process. and as lots of big problems can be dealt with using simple strategies, why don �t you try try to take it in baby steps, one small thing after the other?
First of all, I would try to have the children relate each printed word to the sounds they had already been made familiar with, and only then would I try to have them compose the word themselves to present a written production of their own, even if not necessarily using a pen or a pencil.
As you refer that body parts are one of the items you will probably have to deal with, let �s use that topic as a practical example of things you could do, using a very specific song (that focuses on very specific body parts, but you can then expand your lesson to other relevant body parts)
Step number 1 - Teach your children the main body parts (using a short story, or a game, or any kind of TPR approach - children that young tend to like it a lot), and make sure they can identify them as you name them (by waving their hands when you call out "hands", or by touching the tip of their nose, as you call out "nose", for instance).
OR
Step number 1 - Sing a song about body parts. "Head, shoulders, knees and toes" tends to work out fine, and you can start by singing and dancing the conventional approach to it and then "cheat" by not saying one specific body part each time (check how it is done here:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_D-kBCmUew     ). You can do this by playing the video, or by just leading the group yourself, but children like watching the video, as cartoons are always popular.
Step number 2 - Display big labels with each body part and its name printed right next to it; show your children these big labels and have them repeat what you show; you can then detach the picture from the printed word and move on to step 3.
Step number 3 - Matching game: Have your children match the big word to the picture it represents; you can do this individually (using a worksheet), or, if your class is not very big, as a group work (groups of 3 children), sticking the pictures and labels is a big cardboard, which can later be put up for display, or in the blackborad, or ... See what will work best in your facilities.
Step number 4 - By now, your children can read the words referring to the body parts, so get rid of the pictures. Check this by playing a game in two stages: in stage 1, you show the label and they say the word it shows and then touch the body part it refers to; stage 2 is the silent stage - you just show the label and then they have to touch / show / point to (... whatever you decide) their body part; it might be important to observe the two stages because of any slower children, who could use listening to what their colleagues say before relating the printed word to the action that is expected from them).
Step number 5 - "Destroy" your labels - cut the words in front of your children, separating each letter; then ask them to reassemble them all together in the correct order, as a puzzle. The best thing here would be to have small groups (maybe 3 children) assembling one word at a time; only when puzzle 1 ("leg") was correctly  finished would they be given puzzle number 2 ("hand" - be careful about "hand" and "head" - they are very similar, and children oftem confuse them).
Step number 6 - Give your children a big basket / envelope / tray / bag / ...  full of lose letters, and ask them to take out the ones they need to write a specific and short word; as they put all the letters in the correct order, they are writing the word!
To make sure you can keep a copy of their written production, you can use paper letters which the children will glue next to the picture of the body part in the worksheet you will have prepared for them

Finally, just be aware that this will take a long time, and it might be better to divide all these steps into more than one lesson.

Hope this helps, and all the best in your teaching parctice!

Sandra

P.S. - TPR stands for Total Physical Response. Basically, it �s about associating words / sounds to physical actions. You can find a more elaborate description here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_physical_response
and you can google it or look for practical activities in YouTube.

24 Sep 2015     

EwelinaEwelina
Japan

Hello there,
I �ve been using stories and games and songs (that go with the stories)  from this website www. teachingenglishgames.com for  a few years.  Great resources. 
http://www.teachingenglishgames.com/kindergarten-stories
http://www.teachingenglishgames.com/esl-classroom-games

I hope it helps you a bit. 
Good luck,
;-) 

25 Sep 2015