Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to improve reading skills in doctors?    

How to improve reading skills in doctors?

newuser07
Argentina

How to improve reading skills in doctors?

Hi everyone!

I really need your help this time since a student of mine who is a doctor and has an elementary level needs to read abstracts, papers, articles, etc. in English and most of the time as she has the background info of course, "translates" according to what she thinks the writer might suggest but it´s not accurate. Does anyone have tips on how to help low level students "understand" the advanced texts?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Have a great Sunday :) 

27 Sep 2015      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Basically, you need to teach your student the intensive and extensive reading strategies. You could show how language works by introducing vocabulary clusters through context/texts. Maybe a lexical notebook would be helpful.
Some articles on lexical approach

27 Sep 2015     

newuser07
Argentina

Thanks for your answer!!!! I´ll check these links right now.
Have a nice week! 

28 Sep 2015     

newuser07
Argentina

I´ve just checked the links and they´re very interesting.
However, what I´m looking for is some practical tips so as to help her make sense of the different structures/meanings while reading. She told me she doesn´t want to "waste time reading the whole article " because at the end of it she´s not sure what is was about. Just the general idea!

I´d appreciate any kind of help. THanks in advance! 

28 Sep 2015     

alien boy
Japan

These might give you a few ideas:

http://www.headsupenglish.com/index.php/esl-articles/four-skills/109-four-skills/303-skimming-and-scanning

I �ll post more if I get time.
Cheers,
AB 

29 Sep 2015