Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help regarding verb tenses: "during" - followed by past simple or by present perfect?    

Help regarding verb tenses: "during" - followed by past simple or by present perfect?

SVieira
Portugal

Help regarding verb tenses: "during" - followed by past simple or by present perfect?

Hi, everyone

In the sentence "The children ______________________ tennis during one hour yesterday.", which would the correct alternative be?
a) played
b) was playing
c) were playing
d) have played

Considering that the sentence refers to a very specific time in the past  ("yesterday"), I would go for the past simple tense (alternative a), but considering how similar to "for" (in meaning) it is (they both refer to a period of time), I keep having second thoughts about the present perfect (alternative d).
Can you help me?

Sandra

24 Oct 2015      

salouh
Tunisia

I think a is correct because the action started and finished in the past and has no connection with the present as well as the indicator yesterday indicates the past simple.

24 Oct 2015     

maryse pey�
France

PLAYED : due to the presence of  the word YESTERDAY this event is part of the past and has nothing to do with the present.

The event lasted 1 hour YESTERDAY but at this very moment the children are doing something else

The event is finished. So the duration is only in the PAST.

If you use the present perfect that means that the children are still playing tennis at this very moment (when you are speaking). They have not yet finished.

Hope this help.

24 Oct 2015     

SVieira
Portugal

Just as I thought! But hearing a second (and a third) opinion is truly reassuring, and it does indeed help, Marise.
Thank you, Salouh and Marise!

Sandra

24 Oct 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Hi,
I would just add that
instead of during one hour consider using for one hour/for an hour.

24 Oct 2015     

yanogator
United States

I agree with the others, and am writing because Giorgi �s point about using "for" instead of "during" is important. A native speaker wouldn �t use "during" in this sentence. 

Bruce 

24 Oct 2015     

FrauSue
France

I agree with Bruce - none of the options is correct with during in the sentence.

They played tennis for one hour.
They played tennis during their lunch break. 

29 Oct 2015