Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > can you help, please?    

can you help, please?

gharbi2009
Tunisia

can you help, please?

Dear colleagues,

I am looking for documents about criteria that must be used when preparing good comprehension and language questions of a test. I tried to find something on eslprintables, but in vain. I will be grateful if you have any idea where to find such documents.

31 Oct 2015      

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Hi Gharbi,

Writing language tests can be a lot of work, but cloze tests have a good reputation for reliability and validity - IF your aim is evaluation. I think they �re less useful as a teaching tool.

There �s an online tool here that you can use to create cloze tests from your own text.
Cloze test creator http://l.georges.online.fr/tools/cloze.html

Professor Charles Alderson is a well-known writer on language teaching and testing (University of Lancaster) and it �s worth reading what he has to say on reading comprehension tests - though it may be a little academic. If you Google this:
               alderson testing reading comprehension skills
...you will find some useful pdf files on the subject.

If you can get hold of it, Heaton �s "Writing English Language Tests" is a good basic guide to testing in general. There is probably loads of good links online too and I am sure some others on the forum will be able to suggest some that they have found useful.

Tap

31 Oct 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

thanks Tap! helpful as usual

31 Oct 2015     

Jayho
Australia

If you are interested in online learning you could investigate this short course: Understanding Assessment.

From their website page: 

By taking this course, you�ll learn
  • How to evaluate whether a test is fit for purpose.
  • How to select, adapt or create appropriate tests or tasks.
  • The key principles of assessment: validity, reliability, impact, practicality and fairness.
  • Different task types and when and how to use them.
  • How to test reading, writing, listening, speaking, grammar and vocabulary
If you are a member, you are eligible for a discounted price ($31).

Cheers

Jayho

Smile

31 Oct 2015