Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your help!    

I need your help!

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, that is fine to say �the first team are here/Team 1 are looking good! The first team have arrived. � Since it is a collective noun, it can be singular or plural. I think that was what was asked....  

6 Nov 2015     

LyallR.Jones
United Kingdom

As I stated I will not go into any more detail about determiners being an unmoveable object, yes I am a native speaker I am from Northumberland, England, UK, I believe that common usage is more powerful than any rule (I do not correct anyone saying "aren �t I" as it is common usage, although I see it as foolish and would never use it myself I do teach it to my students) however the example the first team are here I have never heard any one use it like that before and @ cunliffe team 1 the "1" comes after team and it is fine but  how is that relevant? it is not even a determiner! Next thing that you guys are going to try to tell me is that we don �t use "to" in "I go home" because "home" is a weird noun!
Edit @ douglas " the first games begin at 3:00" just to illustrate two ways that I heard that said before: "the first game begins at 3:00" and "the games begin at 3:00" I have never ever heard your example being used before, what part of the U.S.A. are you from?

6 Nov 2015     

douglas
United States

I �m a Californian. If two games start simultaneously you would say "The first games start at 3:00pm.".

9 Nov 2015     

< Previous   1    2