Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > No comment    

No comment

Mariethe House
France

No comment

I tend to be annoyed when people reply with the interjection "no comment"! What do they mean?

To get a better idea about the subject, I searched the net and I found this :

When dealing with hostile or negative questions, �No comment� is the last thing you should say. Try one of these five phrases instead.

1. That�s not what I�m here to discuss.
  2. No (if asked a direct question that is untrue).
  3. I don�t have anything to say.
  4. I �m unable to talk about that .
  5. Smile, and nothing.

Any other ideas , to replace the �no comment" phrase??

Edit: Well, Thank you so much both Alex and Jayho! and DOUGLAS ;Your explanations have been very useful. Smile

22 Nov 2015      

almaz
United Kingdom

Mariethe, "no comment" is commonly used as a response to a request - usually from the media - for a comment. It doesn�t actually make any sense to use it if nobody has asked a question. Here�s a classic version of the expression from House of Cards:

22 Nov 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Mariethe

Yes, I agree with Almaz.  It is a typical journalistic response and not widely used in everyday conversation.

In my experience, No comment is mostly used in these situations:
- by the Police when being interviewed by the media for high profile cases
- by politicians, who have been caught red-handed claiming for an entitlement that they are not entitled to, or doing something totally inappropriate, when confronted by the media
- by leading organisations or members of the community confronted by the media for a wrong doing
- by high profile celebrities confronted by the media on personal issues such as marital issues, drugs, and domestic violence

If it�s used in everyday speech, it is used jokingly when someone asks a question that is too personal, such as invasive questions about one�s new love life.

Cheers

Jayho

22 Nov 2015     

douglas
United States

Actually, back when I when I got some (military) training for addressing the media. The were adamant that we don �t use phrase at all because of the negative connotations that have come to be tied to it (e.g. not being open to the public).  

23 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

So Jayho, our readers would like to hear more about this new love life of yours. What do you have to say?

23 Nov 2015     

Jayho
Australia

No comment

23 Nov 2015