Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Enlightenment is ego’s ultimate disappointment.” ~    

Enlightenment is ego’s ultimate disappointment.” ~

Mariethe House
France

Enlightenment is ego’s ultimate disappointment.” ~

Morning reflection....

After seeing so many cries and shouts and why ´s and how ´s on this forum I thought I would submit thisquote to everyone here to enable us to exchange a few ideas.
I personnally think that if you open your mind to others, if you try to discover other ways of thinking, if you think that the other person also is fragile , if you think noone is after you, trying to hurt you , then maybe you can start understanding and look for more essential truths. 
What do you think?
Have a nice day.

9 Dec 2015      

gulgunmurat
Turkey

Morning Dear,

We teachers have high Egos. We all know everything and think everyone konws or must know the things as we do. So why are we here? Are we here to teach others "a lesson", or to learn something? Personally, I am here to learn something from my colleagues. Whenever I am online here, I try to get rid of the "teacher Gülgün" inside me and devote myself to learning. Any kind of positive teaching from my colleagues is and will be accepted by me. Because, to me if a teacher ´s learning ends, so does his/her teaching. In my country there is a good saying about being a rookie: It says " you were not born ..............." For example, you were not born as a  teacher. I was not born as a cook... etc. I was not born as a teacher or ESLPrintables member :)                            

9 Dec 2015     

Jayho
Australia

That´s a nice morning reflection, Mariethe.

Good point, gulgunmurat.  As an aside, though, here is something that you might not know and wish to learn about. Using dear is often seen as patronizing and offensive.  I cringed when I recently received an email from an ex-student saying the same thing to me and I immediately made a mental note to teach the etiquette and hidden rules around this to my current class .  Although ok in some situations, it is a term of endearment mainly reserved for one´s children and partner.

Cheers

Jayho

9 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

@ Mariethe ----> Very true :-). People don´t believe me when I say that I love being wrong. Sure it´s embarrassing, but it also means that you learn something you didn´t know before and that´s always a good thing (including learning something about yourself). :-))

Another quote for you (not sure where it ´s from) that I often write on the front of my lesson plans notebook:

"To teach is to learn twice".

@Jayho ---> Good point about ´Dear´. I see that a lot too. Probably most non-native speakers see "Dear" most of all in written letters, where very often it´s not used as a term of endearment, but a salutation and I suspect that´s where most of the inappropriate uses come from - or direct translation from languages other than English.

@Gülgün ----> I agree completely, teachers are thrust into a role where we´re often seen as someone who ought to have all the answers. Have you every noticed how many teachers speak more loudly than other people? :-))

9 Dec 2015