Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Possible or not?    

Possible or not?

almaz
United Kingdom

I tried the Ngram viewer test as well, Tap, using a lot of different permutations and it confirmed what we said earlier: if after a preposition is rare in written English � formally and informally. It is used in conversation (and Gigi�s examples seem to come from social media where a conversational style is more common or, as in the case of the "legal option" he links to, English may not be the writer�s first language � just read the first paragraph).

Basically, it�s not "wrong" � it�s just non-standard. 

11 Dec 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Indeed, a big thanks to the OP for this lively discussion.

What we seem to have concluded so far is:

"Over if"  is not wrong. We have heard that British English speakers   would prefer to use whether. Would love to hear what the US speakers have to say.

As for the rule - no if after a preposition -  I would not generalize it this way. It depends on a certain preposition, I guess, with some preposition it must be more common than with others.  We can �t put all cases in the same pot, imho.

We have heard Almaz �s opinion that although people do use it in  "conversational" English, they rarely use it in informal writing.
I was wondering if (whether :D)  conversational English is very different from what people use when writing informally...  Confused

Non-standard? I have heard some fervent speeches here on this forum where people insisted that non-standard English is more than acceptable. I remember someone generously shared a video of a David Crystal on this topic.  

Giorgi (Please, spell my name correctly or use my nickname) 

Disapprove

11 Dec 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Non-standard doesn�t mean "wrong", Giorgi. And it certainly doesn�t mean "more than acceptable" (what on earth is that supposed to mean, anyway?).

Alex

EDIT: Oops, obviously hit a nerve there: have edited name accordingly.

11 Dec 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Amaz, I will no longer reply  to any of your posts unless you have the courtesy to spell my name correctly. 

Good night everyone. 
EDIT: Thanks for your edit :)

11 Dec 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Just to recap where we were...

Non-standard doesn�t mean "wrong", Giorgi. And it certainly doesn�t mean "more than acceptable" (what on earth is that supposed to mean, anyway?).

Incidentally, h/t to Giorgi�s friend Lynne for also pointing out that "It�s Giorgi, not Gigi or Georgi..." 

Alex

11 Dec 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

almaz,

Non-standard doesn�t mean "wrong" -   Of course, I was saying just that.
And it certainly doesn�t mean "more than acceptable" -   There was a topic here a while ago, I was referring to it. You can search for it if you like.

Hope I made it clear now.

If not we can go on some other time. It �s past my bedtime.

Giorgi

11 Dec 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

As usual, Giorgi, you�ve made nothing clear except the fact that you�re unwilling to debate matters of grammar and usage in a mature way.

�\__/�

Alex 

11 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Let �s all go to bed and be glad no-one was injured :-))

11 Dec 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Alex, as always you are turning to offensive sarcasm when you feel you are cornered. I can do nothing to change that, I just feel sorrow for wasting my time on people like you ...

11 Dec 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Thank you, Giorgi.

11 Dec 2015     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >