Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "in" "on" or "at"     

"in" "on" or "at"

Zora
Canada

No, not universal...Confused  simply because, for example, in Canada private boarding schools are very uncommon -  to say the least ... so people would never assume you lived at such a place as a school unless it was a University or college... and to tell you the truth, I don �t even know of any private or boarding schools... so if somebody said "I go to such and such a place" - I would assume it �s just another school...as would most other Canadians - at least where I am from... 

26 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

But, but, but,
to stay is temporary like staying at/in a hotel.
You live at a boarding school, because it becomes your home away from
home for the year or two you go to school there.

26 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

To me it just sounds very, very strange... might be because we don �t really have them... let �s just say for me to "live" is basically to be permanent somewhere - and you live in the "dorms" of the school perhaps... BUT the school, the school is usually a building apart from them...

See where my logic is going? It �s not the "school" you are sleeping, watching TV, hanging out, showering and eating in.. it is usually the dorm or somewhere off campus...

That �s why "eye" (as Ivona says Wink ) ... prefers "stays at/in" or "live at" but NOT "live in"....   

And I think for what you pay at some boarding schools - it should be a hotel stay with room service included!! LOL

26 Feb 2009     

Delphine 05
Belgium

thanks for reactions :) very useful

Have a nice Sunday afternoon :)

Delphine

1 Mar 2009     

< Previous   1    2