Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A question for native speakers     

A question for native speakers

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

A question for native speakers

Hi,

I am wondering about using  a causative form in the spoken language. We teach it in grammar but is it used in the spoken language ??

e.g. Do you say: I cut my hair or  I had my hair cut ???

Waiting your replies

Thank you :) 

2 Feb 2016      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Pretty,

We say �I had or I �ve had my hair cut. �   �I �ve had my hair done � �I �ve had my hair dyed �... unless you do it yourself, after a bottle of wine on a Saturday night, in which case you say �I cut my hair, � (American English) or �I �ve cut my hair � (English English). I �m not advocating this course of action, of course. 

2 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, Pretty, the causative is certainly used in spoken English (British, American and most other standard variations).  As you�re probably aware, a causative verb is one that "indicates that some person or thing brings about (or helps to bring about) a new state of affairs".  

Although there are others such as allow, force and help, the four major traditional causative verbs are make, get, have and cause; these are followed by another verb which describes the resulting action or state:

Her silly comments made us laugh.
I can never get my son to behave himself on a plane.
I always have my hair done at Fazzio�s.
 Storm Henry has caused many rivers in the west of Scotland to burst their banks.

Hope this helps.

Alex 

2 Feb 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

In my area you can also say I got my hair cut or I got a haircut.

2 Feb 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Where I �m from you could use either, but �I had my hair cut � is more formal/educated/adult in register, while �I cut my hair � is casual/juvenile in register. 

2 Feb 2016     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thanks a lot.

3 Feb 2016