Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Using the Guitar in the Classroom    

Using the Guitar in the Classroom

PaulG
Costa Rica

Using the Guitar in the Classroom

So, apart from being an English teacher, I �m also a guitarrist. I would love to be able to use my guitar in the classroom in a way that it can help my students learn better. Any ideas?

6 Feb 2016      

ana.ap
Spain

Just use songs in class!! And there are lots of funny activities or role plays you can carried out with some music as a base. I love this one, for example, ha ha ha ha: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Pupils love it too! 

6 Feb 2016     

PaulG
Costa Rica

-sigh-

This post is not about what kinds of activities can be used with songs... I use that... But students enjoy live music. Your answer was not at all helpfull since it has nothing to do with what I asked. 

6 Feb 2016     

crolston
United States

-You could play relaxing music for them as they do an activity.
-You could invent an activity like musical chairs, but using language, and play the music yourself on the guitar. http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/lessons/index.pl?read=2959 I think it would be better if the person who doesn �t find a chair (or a card) had to do the language activity, like name all the vocabulary words, but you could invent something better for your students.
-You could do jazz chants in class with the guitar for music to accompany it  http://www.teachingvillage.org/2010/05/23/how-to-create-a-jazz-chant-by-carolyn-graham/

I hope this helps! 

6 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Threaten to strike them with it if they misbehave. 

7 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Oh, come on, Lynne! As you can see from his answer to Ana, Paul is obviously far too sensitive, compassionate and tactful to do something like that. 

7 Feb 2016     

spinney
United Kingdom

@ Almaz 

7 Feb 2016     

Manuhk
Hong Kong

I second spinney �s comment.
@ Almaz 👍
That reply to ana was almost like biting the hand that feeds ...

7 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Alex, Manuhk and Dale - quite! I am awaiting with trepidation (or glee) his response to my suggestion!

7 Feb 2016     

spinney
United Kingdom

@ Lynne - I suspect he may take you at your word. 

7 Feb 2016     

PaulG
Costa Rica

Thank you to those who have been helpful. To the one who said to threaten, I have no problem with your comment, so ignore the idiots. No, I �m not too sensitive. But when I ask for ideas on how to implement something, I don �t expect someone to tell me to do something else instead. That �s like saying, "Your idea is too stupid, so try this."

7 Feb 2016     

1    2    3    4    Next >