Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Learning another language - article    

Learning another language - article

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Learning another language - article

I �m preaching to the converted here - but here �s a little piece of research which backs up the obvious, really: learning another language boosts the old grey matter!

15 Feb 2016      

alien boy
Japan

ありがとーリンさん! Arigatou Rin san!

15 Feb 2016     

maryse pey�
France

May esl and its members live for a very long while and share their knowledge about foreign languages...

15 Feb 2016     

Mariethe House
France

Thank you Lynne!

They recommend Gaelic so I �ll start with that! 

Aawww! Sounds a bit complicated for me!

EDIT: BTW, I would like to learn the Basque language. has Anybody got any idea about a good site on line?

15 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thanks for your replies and the link, Marieth�. I love listening to Gaelic and Welsh language speakers as you can see where their accents come from when they speak English. I �m learning Slovakian. A while ago, I had a crack at Urdu and wrote about it in the TES. I �ve googled it and the article is there! If you get a spare minute... The title was based on a famous ad for cream cakes

16 Feb 2016     

Mariethe House
France

I really love your article , Lynne! So much like you!

You set yourself a really difficult task ! That must indeed have been ( and still is ) an incredible brain booster. I think , being much older than you, it would give me a terrible headache Big smile .

Enjoy your day everyone of you Smile

16 Feb 2016     

karagozian
France

I have worked myself very hard at learning Armenian. A big challenge that provided me with loads of satisfaction. But then the bridge to mastering it perfectly seemed progressively unattainable. It is a fabulous experience though. Personally I think every teacher shut put himself one day in the position of being able to really feel what it is like to NOT understanding a word. BTW I am bi- or trilingual. I speak Dutch but didn �t teach to my children for the reasons you mentioned. So, shame on me. Thanks for the post !

16 Feb 2016     

spinney
United Kingdom

I �m not so sure if I agree with the thing about memory, Rin San. My Mrs is bilingual Spanish/English and she has the worst memory of anybody I know with the possible exception of my boss. Doesn �t stop her learning other languages though. Her French is a lot better than mine as well. French people usually fall about on the floor laughing when I try to say anything to them. Nice article though and one day, when I �m not so busy, I �m going to have another bash at Japanese. Good luck with the Slovakian classes, by the way!

16 Feb 2016     

karagozian
France

I have worked myself very hard at learning Armenian. A big challenge that provided me with loads of satisfaction. But then the bridge to mastering it perfectly seemed progressively unattainable. It is a fabulous experience though. Personally I think every teacher shut put himself one day in the position of being able to really feel what it is like to NOT understanding a word. BTW I am bi- or trilingual. I speak Dutch but didn �t teach to my children for the reasons you mentioned. So, shame on me. Thanks for the post !

16 Feb 2016     

Manuhk
Hong Kong

A few years ago, I took time out to study Chinese at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. It was hard, very hard for my middle aged brain, especially memorising all those Chinese characters. Having done that, I fully understand how difficult it is for my students, especially adult students at elementary level.

16 Feb 2016     

karagozian
France

Sorry, absolutely do not understand how I managed to post twice the same thing. I better stay off here !!!

16 Feb 2016     

1    2    Next >