Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > for clarification    

for clarification

hassouna
Algeria

for clarification

I �d like colleagues to tell me how can I discriminate between a task, an exercise and an activity,please

20 Feb 2016      

niksailor
Russian Federation

Hello, dear hassouna

The first two terms (a task and an exercise) differ in the choice of language students use to do them. Exercises are usually activities that strongly focus on the form of language, i.e. they relate to some specific and restricted language to be used. Thus, they are controlled practice activities. Contrariwise, if students deal with tasks, they not only use some specific language that is required, but also produce ideas with their own language. Tasks are not restricted practice activities, they imply a wider choice of language means to achieve an aim. They are freer practice activities.

For example, if your students are requred to fill in the blanks with some concrete language, it �s an exercise. And if they are wanted to write smth on the basis of recently learnt language, start communication or do smth else with real-world outcome, they do a task as they need some language variety.

Broadly speaking, an activity is a term replacing either an exercise or a task, as far as I �m concerned.

Cheers,
Nik 

20 Feb 2016     

hassouna
Algeria

thank you so much.

20 Feb 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

http://www.professorjackrichards.com/difference-task-exercise-activity/
 gives similar definitions to Niksailor �s.

For me, an exercise is is a grammar exercise you do for practice, such as fill in the gap or multiple choice. It is exercise for the brain.
A task is a job or assignment . The teacher tasks the students with something she wants them to do. It can be categorizing nouns, matching word to pictures, writing a paragraph.Students must stay on task and not get distracted.
An activity can be playing a game, making a craft, singing an action song. It is doing something active. 

20 Feb 2016