Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Respect for published work & authors    

Respect for published work & authors

pmca
Portugal

Respect for published work & authors

I have noticed lately that some fellow teachers have been posting tests with scanned texts from textbooks, workbooks and study aids and use most of the exercises published there. I am speaking of Portuguese published work.

They are presenting "the pack" as a test of their own creation whereas most of it has been published.

I am not reporting the work as stolen, as some of it, though not much, has been adapted or changed. And the purpose of the teacher �s books � assessment activities are to be adapted to the classes we teach. At least that is the aim behind the work I have published so far.

I just think that those who do it and share it here online should at least ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR SOURCES. Copyright must  be respected.

I have seen some of my published work posted here as "originals" and I have to say that I am quite upset for not seeing any references to the title of the books where the tests and activities have been extracted.

28 Feb 2009      

mena22
Portugal

Hi! You are absolutely right. I had promised myself that I wouldn �t leave any comments when contributors  published  resources that were not created by them. I would just report them to victor.

However, I couldn �t keep my promise. As you �ve just said, there is an increasing number of Portuguese teachers (Unhappy) who frequently upload worksheets which are an integral copy  (or almost integral -  minimal changes are really irrelevant!) of English books of Portuguese authors and  Publishers.

First, I �ve tried sending private messages, instead of leaving a comment, because I think everyone deserves an opportunity to make it the right way. Some of these users answered me and apologised for having been deceitful. Others just ignored me and, worse, they keep uploading everyday material that is not theirs. They left me no other choice but leaving a comment on the worksheets, a polite one, as much as it can be, asking them to state their sources. In addition, I also wrote the name of the book the texts and exercises have been taken from, the authors and publishers, as well as the page numbers. And then I reported them all to Victor.

Can you imagine if all Portuguese members of this site started copying all their work from books assuming them as their own work? If all French members did the same only from books by French publishers? If Greek members  .....and so forth....and so forth. What a fraud this  site would be!

I can understand that we cannot write texts of our own every day. We use texts from books and write the source. However, I find it unacceptable that members also copy all the exercises from books. The only thing they do is  processing the text. As I �ve said, this site wouldn �t be what it is today if we all did that!

Have a nice day.
mena

28 Feb 2009     

pmca
Portugal

I agree with you Mena, that is why I decided to post the comment above.

It is unfair to be posting work that isn �t their own. I have been watching many tests being posted as originals and I recognise them immediately from textbooks from several Portuguese editors: Areal Editores, Asa Editora, Texto Editora and Porto Editora.

I left a comment on the tests that were uploaded today and that were taken - and even scanned - from two books I authored. I haven �t reported them to Victor because I beleive people should have a second chance.

I DO NOT post here my published work. But it really is irksome to find it here posted as tests they have created on their own.

If one uses something and adapts it, one ought to state the source.

Have a nice weekend, Mena!

Paula

28 Feb 2009     

Nucha75
Portugal

The reason why i am writing is simply because i wanted to apologise to pmca . It was not my intention to offend or steal any material. That �s why I decide to take out my prints.
 As i explained in my private message to you is that i really had the time to describe the ws. For that i apologise.
Don �t get offended or angry, because i swear it meant no harm, but after reading your comments i felt so ashamed and sad that i felt the need to give a public statement and delete these ws.
 SO SORRU AGAIN.
 Helena Sofia barroso

28 Feb 2009