Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > confused    

confused

Mouna mch
Algeria

confused

dear colleagues,
  I �m dealing  with question words and how to ask questions on the underlined words.
in the following sentence:

Shakespear is a great English writer. 

what should the question be:
a- who is a great English writer?
 or
b- who is Shakespear ?
or
c- both of them?
thanks in advance for your precious help
Mouna 

5 Mar 2016      

sousou aicha
Tunisia

Hello,
you are asking about the person. So, the second option is more correct than the two others, I guess. 

5 Mar 2016     

mirita1959
Portugal

As the underlined word is Shakespear, the question word should be "who". When we underline a word we want the question to focus on that, so it should be "Who is a great English writer?", and the answer is "Shakespear"

5 Mar 2016     

Mouna mch
Algeria

sousou aicha ,thanks  for you answer :)

mirita1959.. I guess that what you have just said sounds logic  ... when I underline a word , it is supposed to be "invisible" somehow, so i cannot use it when making my question! 

5 Mar 2016     

oxXSABXxo
Germany

Another option:
Do you know any great English writer of the sixteenth century?

5 Mar 2016     

marzouga
Morocco

I AGREE WITH MIRITA BECAUSE .THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO ASK ABOUT THE NAME .SO THEY SHOULDN �T MENTION IT IN THE QUESTION.

5 Mar 2016     

rapen
Morocco

i see that it �s better to ask the question "who �s Shakesprear?" so that the answer will definitely be "Shakespear is a geart English writer". if you ask for instance" who �s a great writer?" The answer should be "it �s Shakespear". Can you guess the difference?

5 Mar 2016     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

The correct answer is "Who is a great English writer?"

5 Mar 2016     

MoodyMoody
United States

I agree with rapen. There are many great English writers; you could correctly answer anyone from Geoffrey Chaucer to J.K. Rowling! If you must have "William Shakespeare" as an unambiguous answer, you must first make the question much more specific. Examples: "Who is a great English writer of the 1500s born in Stratford-on-Avon?" or "Who is a great English writer who died on the same day as the great Spanish writer Miguel de Cervantes?"

5 Mar 2016     

hassouna
Algeria

Who is the great English writer? this the correct question .the underlined word should not be mentioned in the question.

6 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Crackpot exercise. Can only be done meaningfully if �great� changes to �the greatest�

6 Mar 2016