Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > wish vs hope    

wish vs hope

gharbi2009
Tunisia

wish vs hope

Dear colleagues,

As far as my knowledge is concerned, "wish" is used when we express things that can �t be realized in the present and the future or didn �t realize in the past. However, very often we encounter or use expressions such as "wish you success" or "wish you happy life. Does it mean that one hardly expects "success" or "happy life" to be realizable? or does "wish" here mean "hope"?

24 Mar 2016      

georginasantanna
Portugal

Hi!
"Wish" only refers to past regrets when it is used in the sense of "If only".
For example: If only I had studied more, I wouldn �t have failed the exam". Here, you can replace "if only" by "wish" - I wish I had studied more, that way I wouldn �t have failed the exam."
When we say "I wish you success", we are using "wish" in the sense of the French expression "Je te/vous souhaite...", so it is not a negative thing and the meaning is really close to "hope as in "I hope you succed."
Sorry for this confusing explanation but I hope that I have helped.

Georgina 

24 Mar 2016     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

quite helpful Georgia thanks ( fortunately, I know French)

24 Mar 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree that a wish is like a hope. Wish is also like desire.  I desire everything good for you.  I wish you every good thing.

24 Mar 2016     

yanogator
United States

Yes, two good explanations. "I wish you ..." means "I hope for you..." or "I desire for you..."

Bruce 

24 Mar 2016     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

thanks Mary and Bruce

25 Mar 2016     

lockman
Morocco

hi
A good explanation on the difference b/w wish and hope here:

http://www.engvid.com/english-vocabulary-wish-hope/ 
OR here