Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > is it correct    

is it correct

gharbi2009
Tunisia

is it correct

Dear colleagues,

A colleague of mine and I were discussing the uses of present perfect simple and we disagreed on whether the following sentence is correct or not as far as meaning is concerned: He has learned English. Can you help, please?
Ridha

28 Mar 2016      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Ridha,
I �m guessing the discussion is about whether he can consider this to be a completed activity. I would say that it isn �t a great statement, and "He has studied English" would be much better. I don �t think I �d argue too strongly against the sentence, though, depending on the circumstances.

Bruce 

28 Mar 2016     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Thanks Bruce

That �s what I thought because learning is a process that doesn �t stop.

28 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Excuse me! I have learned my times tables and that process has stopped! No-one ever learns in the sense of mastering English though, and probably the same applies to every language. There are Shakespearean terms; technical terms; linguistic terms; texting terms and various other geeky things (as well as punctuation rules) that even I don �t know. It �s just a turn of phrase, though, so I agree with Bruce �s answer. 

28 Mar 2016