Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > English tenses!!    

English tenses!!

Miss_Alel�
Argentina

English tenses!!

Hi there! I �ve just downloades a fantastic worksheet in which you can find a summary of all english tenses! However something odd caught my attention...

According to this chart... Conditional type 1 is = PP+would+verb(inf), but am i wrong or conditional 1 is = if+ simple present + future (will) ?

Can anybody hel me?

Sorry to be such a dunce!!

1 Mar 2009      

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi aleli

You are right.
Anyway, I can�t see the worksheet so I guess it has been...deleted ?

Smile

1 Mar 2009     

frenchfrog
France

A link with �comment � in it won �t work. The correct link is http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=157094&
By the way this printable is a copy from http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/tenses

1 Mar 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Great, Frenchfrog, as usual, twice, ... for the correct link and, ... for the stolen worksheet.
I think you have reported it, so, thank you

1 Mar 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

OK ignoring the fact that it was copied from a site... (I have the chart from there too...) can anyone explain/answer the question? I am really curious to know the answer as I am like a grammar sponge at the moment sucking up all the knowledge I can!LOL
I am going to look it up now in "George" my grammar bible...

1 Mar 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

Frenchfrog.

Thanks,Even after over 140 downloads we can still discover that it �s a stolen ws.
 (what a pity!this member should have at least corrected the mitakes in the original ws)

aleli,

you are right.There are mistakes in naming the tenses.(conditionals 1/2 and the future perfect progressive)

1 Mar 2009     

Isabel L
Spain

Hi,

aleli_a is right as far as I know. The tenses in conditional I are: present simple in the if-clause and will-future in the main clause. That �s the basic form although there can be other combinations, but never with would.
Hope it helps

1 Mar 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, All

Ignoring the fact is a copy, I can say there is nothing wrong in the WS (Both).

If you are refeing to the last part of the chart ie. CONDITION I simple/progressive and CONDITIONAL II simple/progressive, I think the author means what we can call present and past conditional (would + Inf / would + have + PP) it does not refer to conditional types.
I think it is just a problem of grammatical terminology. Sometime we call this infinitive construction and perfect infinive construction.
Since the refernce to the 3 types of conditional in the beginning of the chart (use of the present simple/simple past/past perfect) is correct.

Try to have a look at the examples they are fine.

Regards

1 Mar 2009