Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Right or wrong?    

Right or wrong?

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Right or wrong?

Dear colleagues,

I need some help form native speakers. Is it OK to use "my mother language" instead of my mother tongue or native language? The expression can be found on the internet but not in any of my dictionaries, including the dictionary of collocations. 

I would really appreciate your help. Thanks. 

29 May 2016      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi zvonka. Well, I have never heard that phrase used. It �s usually �first language � (L1) or mother tongue, as you say. To me, it would sound as if you were talking about your mother �s language and had just missed out the apostrophe s. 

29 May 2016     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Dear Cunliffe,

The fact is that that is how we say in my mother tongue it and the phrase as a literal/direct translation. However, I have to check all the possibilities because when students find a phrase on the Internet, they think it is OK to use it. Thank you once again.

29 May 2016     

ldeloresmoore
China

I agree with Cunliffe --  In the U.S., it would be natural to say "first language" or "native language".   

30 May 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Zvonka, you (or your students) might be interested to know that the term "mother language" is sometimes used in historical linguistics when referring to the relationship between different languages of the same family. In keeping with the biological analogy, "daughter languages" which derive from the same mother language are known as "sister languages". You might say that Germanic, Celtic, Italic and Balto-Slavic languages, for example, are all "sisters" ~ being "daughters" of a reconstructed parent called Proto-Indo-European. There you go...

Incidentally, I�ve also heard mother language being used as a variant of mother tongue (there�s actually a "Mother Language Day"), but I wouldn�t say it was a particularly common usage.

Alex

30 May 2016     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

That is interesting. Yet again some food for thought. Thanks.

30 May 2016