Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Some more words to guess     

Some more words to guess

yanogator
United States

Yes, Alex, the twisted sense of humor is the only explanation for their taking our innocent crossword puzzle (which I find totally boring now that I know cryptics - you either know the word or you don �t) and twisting it into something in which each clue is a puzzle.  

Bruce 

3 Jun 2016     

Jayho
Australia

... a wee jaunt up the the ESLP catwalk - I love the way you describe that.  

I�m a huge fan of cryptic puzzles too - I just love the way you have to think out of the square. 

Almaz, maybe you could introduce a comp that introduces eslpr members to these - because it is actually something that you have to learn how to do and I think that many would love to know how to tackle these.  The caption comp and word of the day seem to be in hibernation so maybe another new word game is a possibility.

Cheers

Jayho

3 Jun 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, it�s definitely worth thinking about. Incidentally, Jayho, I recently came across a crossword clue where the solution was a wonderful Australian slang word I�d met for the first time just a couple of hours earlier in a novel by an Australian writer. I can�t remember the clue exactly, but the first part was along the lines of "Yellow leader honks badly" (anagram of �y� + �honks�), with the definition part referring to a dishonest Aussie. (6 letters).

4 Jun 2016     

Jayho
Australia

LOL Almaz, I only just taught� that word to my adult students last week, along with the British equivalent. Glad you like our word.
BTW, that writer is an excellent writer and two of his novels have been made into movies starring an Aussie actor well known for his Hollywood roles
Cheers
Jayho

4 Jun 2016     

< Previous   1    2